posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

Default TWIC Update

Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman has introduced S.3377 which supposedly
will eliminate the requirement for most mariners with a captain's
license to have the Transportation Worker's Identification Credential
(TWIC) a completely useless process unless you intend to pilot a
tanker into a federally secure area. (I just want to take a few folks
around Lake Superior, feed them good food and wine, etc. If you have a
minute, please write your senators and ask them to support this
legislation. Capt. Jeff
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:05:38 -0700 (PDT), Messing In Boats
wrote:

Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman has introduced S.3377 which supposedly
will eliminate the requirement for most mariners with a captain's
license to have the Transportation Worker's Identification Credential
(TWIC) a completely useless process unless you intend to pilot a
tanker into a federally secure area. (I just want to take a few folks
around Lake Superior, feed them good food and wine, etc. If you have a
minute, please write your senators and ask them to support this
legislation. Capt. Jeff

That's great, but guess what - it aint' going nowhere.

There are those of us who do travel through, in and around waters
where the TWIC is, or will be, required to access to port facilities
if you are running in a 20 foot bay boat or a 60 foot sport fisherman.

Just in Narragansett Bay (RI) alone, there are two areas that are
controlled access areas and one is getting ready to become a
restricted access area - which, by the way, is giving two marina
owners a lot of heart burn because they will be on the wrong side of
the gate. :)

I don't disagree with you by the way - it does seem a little bit of
overkill to require the whole maritime industry to have a TWIC. I
followed this from the git-go and I have to admit that they had some
good points.

I might also point out that eventually, the TWIC will be folded into
the whole REAL driver's/identification card so you will have completed
the REAL process WAY ahead of time. :)

In any case, it's here to stay - get used to it.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

wrote:
[...]

I agree that there are places in the US where one should have this
credential. The solution should be for that very small minority of
license holders to get one if they need it. But why should we all have
to? It's a stupid idea; hopefully the folks at Homeland Security would
have better things to work on.

Capt. Jeff
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

I guess the question is where are those places... the places where one
should have the credential. Here in SF perhaps. I have one, but I feel like
it was just $132.50 waste of time and my money.

You would think they have better things to do, but they can't seem to figure
it out.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bob Bob is offline

On Sep 20, 7:30*am, Messing In Boats wrote:

I agree that there are places in the US where one should have this
credential. The solution should be for that very small minority of
license holders to get one if they need it. But why should we all have
to? It's a stupid idea; hopefully the folks at Homeland Security would
have better things to work on.

Look....... just remember what Bush said. THe reason why people hate
the US is because of our freedom. They hate our freedom. So pay your
$135, get photographed, finger printed, background checked, go to the
TWIC office twice and youll get your TWIC card.

Now you have the freedom to do what ya did a few months ago only now
the US TSA and DHS and every other govenment agency can track your
movment. Now you have a card that gives you the fredom that the rest
of the world hates we have. Just remember that the reason people hate
us is because of our freedom!

Oh, and remember to read the language on the new chip imbeded
passports that says can be read at a, "near distance."

Bob

posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

"Messing In Boats" wrote in message
Minnesota Senator Norm Coleman has introduced S.3377 which supposedly
will eliminate the requirement for most mariners with a captain's
license to have the Transportation Worker's Identification Credential
(TWIC) a completely useless process unless you intend to pilot a
tanker into a federally secure area. (I just want to take a few folks
around Lake Superior, feed them good food and wine, etc. If you have a
minute, please write your senators and ask them to support this
legislation. Capt. Jeff

I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm fed up with the feds treating
law-abiding, U.S. citizens like criminals while letting the real criminals
come and go at will across our borders.

I'm letting my USCG Master's license expire at the end of the year because
without this new card it's useless anyway and I will not subject myself to
further fingerprinting, background checking, body cavity probing, etc. I've
had it up to here (points to forehead) with the Feds. If anybody is a bunch
of criminals who need secure ID cards it's that sorry lot. Look how they
just ripped off the entire country with their abuse of Fanny May and Freddy
Mac and their laws making it mandatory that banks and other financial
institutions loan money to people who could no way make the payments. Look
how they have now committed billions of tax payer dollars to pull their own
fat out of the fire. And those 9% approval rating Congressional *******s
want me to jump through their hoops.

It ain't gonna happen, man!

Wilbur Hubbard

On Sep 20, 11:12 am, Bob wrote:
[...]

and no one will actually have a reader for those chips anywhere it
would be useful to you. like the mm card we currently have. Its so
good to know that federal ID is really worthless; unless you happen to
be a terrorist or a smuggler. Then its a free pass.
posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats

On 2008-09-20 16:34:03 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

I'm fed up with the feds treating law-abiding, U.S. citizens like
criminals while letting the real criminals come and go at will across
our borders.

I'm fed up that I need to lock my doors against the criminals.

truth be told, we only lock our doors when we're away for 24 hours and
only because my wife is nervous.

Our neighbors know us well, they've a good idea of most of our friends,
and it's okay for them to ask questions of possible intruders, and okay
that they call the cops if they're nervous. They will (have) call us if
they have any question, will (have) call the police if we we don't
respond directly.

I agree that foreigners in the US without the relatively minimal
paperwork required should be returned while they get their act together.

Much as I feel for the Cubans and other protected illegals, I far would
prefer allowing educated and intelligent migrants into the US without
documentation.

--
Jere Lull

TWIC Update Messing In Boats General 1 May 8th 08 07:02 PM
TWIC requirement Messing In Boats Cruising 26 February 19th 08 03:50 PM
TWIC requirement Messing In Boats General 0 February 17th 08 06:29 AM
Kia Update Capt. Rob ASA 2 June 4th 06 01:08 AM
"26 Again" update FamilySailor ASA 3 August 20th 04 08:44 PM