Default Sony laptops?

Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Depending on what she'll use if for it may be over-kill.

HK HK is offline

D.Duck wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Depending on what she'll use if for it may be over-kill.

Does it include the LED light set?

Why would she need a router, unless, of course, the Herring household
doesn't have one at present? The SONY has wi-fi, and if Herring already
has a router that produces a wi-fi signal, he's all set.

If he does need a router, perhaps someone will look at the specs of that
laptop and tell him what sort of wireless router he needs.

If I were buying a new laptop, I'd buy a Macbook or, preferably, a
Macbook Pro. They are far superior in just about every way to Windows
based laptops. The Apples are ergonomically superior, and much of the
software available for them works better than the similar software
available for Windows.

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Depending on what she'll use if for it may be over-kill.

Might be, but a slight over buy on new PCs is generally a good idea. They
might want to run some killer application that needs it in say a year or
two. 3GB is smart, far too many bought machines with 1G of RAM and had
major issues with Vista. Vista likes RAM, and 3GB is right for Vista 32
bit, which is what it probably has.

Also, Vista is mid-life. Coined "Win 7" is in the works to replace it. And
if they want to upgrade to this, it is likely to be larger than it's
predecessors if history repeats itself. And usually does.

"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Unless she likes laptop keyboards and pointing devices I would suggest an
external keyboard and mouse, either USB or wireless if you don't mind
fooling with batteries. I don't have a wireless keyboard but have wireless
mice on two computers. The one that is used extensively gets 2~3 months
from a set of quality alkaline batteries.

John H. wrote in
:

Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Too much....Buy a Gateway and get more computer for half the price.

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 04:29:00 +0000, Larry wrote:

John H. wrote in
:

Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Too much....Buy a Gateway and get more computer for half the price.

Too late. What does Gateway have that's better for $500?

John H. wrote in
:

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 04:29:00 +0000, Larry wrote:

John H. wrote in
m:

Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks.
Best Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and
router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Too much....Buy a Gateway and get more computer for half the price.

Too late. What does Gateway have that's better for $500?

http://www.buy.com/prod/gateway-m-67...duo-processor-
t5450-3072-mb-250/q/loc/101/208033962.html

$1300 computer, refurbished, for $579. This isn't a laptop, it's a
mainframe in a laptop case....an amazing machine.

I like refurb'd computers because their parts are already burned in. Any
failures have ALREADY happened and the REFURB shop has already replaced
them. They are better than new....

read the reviews....there's 57 of them at Best Buy, alone and it gets over
4 stars out of 5.

Computers this fast should come with seatbelts....(c;

"Larry" wrote in message

I like refurb'd computers because their parts are already burned in. Any
failures have ALREADY happened and the REFURB shop has already replaced
them. They are better than new....

You make a good point. Most failures in electronic devices will happen in
the initial hours of operation.
After that, they are usually good for the long haul.

Eisboch

"Larry" wrote in message
John H. wrote in
:

[...]

For XP laptop, I like AMD X2. Call me nuts but like them a lot.

Inverters & Laptops Floating Mind Electronics 33 March 11th 07 11:42 AM
Laptops Gordon Electronics 3 April 13th 06 01:01 AM
marine laptops BC10 Electronics 2 June 7th 05 03:08 PM
12 volt laptops Bob Owen Cruising 8 November 16th 03 02:00 PM
Laptops and 12 volts. Josh Assing Electronics 14 August 20th 03 09:23 PM