BoatBanter.com

-   -   Sony laptops? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/96621-sony-laptops.html)

John H.[_5_] August 2nd 08 09:58 PM

Sony laptops?

Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

D.Duck August 2nd 08 10:05 PM

Sony laptops?

"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Depending on what she'll use if for it may be over-kill.

D.Duck August 2nd 08 10:14 PM

Sony laptops?

"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Unless she likes laptop keyboards and pointing devices I would suggest an
external keyboard and mouse, either USB or wireless if you don't mind
fooling with batteries. I don't have a wireless keyboard but have wireless
mice on two computers. The one that is used extensively gets 2~3 months
from a set of quality alkaline batteries.

HK August 2nd 08 10:32 PM

Sony laptops?

D.Duck wrote:
"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Depending on what she'll use if for it may be over-kill.

Does it include the LED light set?

Why would she need a router, unless, of course, the Herring household
doesn't have one at present? The SONY has wi-fi, and if Herring already
has a router that produces a wi-fi signal, he's all set.

If he does need a router, perhaps someone will look at the specs of that
laptop and tell him what sort of wireless router he needs.

If I were buying a new laptop, I'd buy a Macbook or, preferably, a
Macbook Pro. They are far superior in just about every way to Windows
based laptops. The Apples are ergonomically superior, and much of the
software available for them works better than the similar software
available for Windows.

Larry W August 3rd 08 03:28 AM

Sony laptops?

John H. wrote:
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:05:12 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Depending on what she'll use if for it may be over-kill.

Yeahbut, she likes it. We skipped the extra gig of RAM. Seems it has only
two slots, one with two gigs, the other with one gig. In order to upgrade
to 4 gigs, I'd have to trash one gig and buy two. Hell with it. We'll see
how it works with only three.

Unless it's the 64-bit version of Vista, Windows can't use more than 3 gigs of ram.

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_2_] August 3rd 08 03:30 AM

Sony laptops?

John H. wrote:
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:14:41 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Unless she likes laptop keyboards and pointing devices I would suggest an
external keyboard and mouse, either USB or wireless if you don't mind
fooling with batteries. I don't have a wireless keyboard but have wireless
mice on two computers. The one that is used extensively gets 2~3 months
from a set of quality alkaline batteries.

She's never had a laptop, and neither have I. We'll see how she does with
the built in stuff. I'd have to have the external mouse, as I can't stand
that rubbing the pad stuff.

The keyboard and mouse just plug in via USB cables. While a 16" wide
screen, you don't really need it, but if you want you can also use a
larger monitor and use the laptop as a CPU when she is at her desk. I
am a few years away from buying a new computer, but I am really leaning
towards buying a Mac and MacPro laptop. My son and my youngest girl
will buy a Mac Laptop in the next month. You can get a 10% discount and
a Ipod Touch for any students or teachers, so your wife would qualify.
I think they are both leaning towards the 13" laptop to make it easy to
carry, and then use a larger monitor and keyboard in their dorm.

Larry August 3rd 08 05:29 AM

Sony laptops?

John H. wrote in
:

Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks. Best
Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

Too much....Buy a Gateway and get more computer for half the price.

[email protected] August 3rd 08 05:34 AM

Sony laptops?

On Aug 2, 10:30 pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."
wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:14:41 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

"John H." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Vista is so awful that I cannot reccomend any machine with it. The
new ASUS EE 9" has a larger keyboard and screen and comes with Windows
XP or the Linux OS of the older 7" EE. My 7' EE is the best computer
I have ever seen for travel. The various utilities seem to be
compatible with most things and it is cheap (a little over $400
including a 16 GB SD card). Take a look at it. It has been so simple
to use that it amazes me when I go back to a Vista machine. It is
also small compared to these monster so-called laptops other people
use and it boots up in 25 seconds compared to over 4 minutes for a
Vista machine. Shut down is less than 12 seconds..

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_2_] August 3rd 08 05:47 AM

Sony laptops?

wrote:

Vista is so awful that I cannot reccomend any machine with it. The
new ASUS EE 9" has a larger keyboard and screen and comes with Windows
XP or the Linux OS of the older 7" EE. My 7' EE is the best computer
I have ever seen for travel. The various utilities seem to be
compatible with most things and it is cheap (a little over $400
including a 16 GB SD card). Take a look at it. It has been so simple
to use that it amazes me when I go back to a Vista machine. It is
also small compared to these monster so-called laptops other people
use and it boots up in 25 seconds compared to over 4 minutes for a
Vista machine. Shut down is less than 12 seconds..

Vista is the best thing that has every happened to Apple, even Harry has
recognized that Vista has some real problems and has stepped up to a Mac.
--
This NG post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to

[email protected] August 3rd 08 05:52 AM

Sony laptops?

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 20:58:56 +0000, John H. wrote:

Am considering this laptop for my wife's birthday in a couple weeks.
Best Buy has it on sale for $999. I'll add another gig of RAM and
router.

http://tinyurl.com/59yons

Thoughts?

If you haven't already pulled the trigger . . . I'll never buy another
Sony product. Do a web search on their quality control, customer
service, etc. At one time, Sony was right at the top, no longer. YMMV.