Default Grady White falls off of boat lift - Pics

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:40:29 -0700, "CalifBill"

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:14:30 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I know... I only post when I have a problem. This happened two weeks
ago.
The bolt on the front outer piling holding the boat lift cradle pulley
sheared right off and the boat went in the drink. Photos of the boat,
the
bolts, and some telltale corrosion streaks are stored at the links
below.

www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts3.jpg (boat in water)

www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts1.jpg (3/4 galv. bolts corroded
away
to nothing)

www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts2.jpg (bolt rust stains on
pulley
housing)

OK. So my question is.......... is there any way to diagnose a
galvanized
bolts integrity before it rusts through like this again? I can't seem
find my portable X-ray machine. I also can't quite figure out how to
do
simple swapout on the other three. I don't know anybody who swaps
their
lift bolts out every few years!

I'm probably wrong, but that looks like electrolysis. Which means
that you have some kind of current leakage somewhere - maybe from a
shore charger?

Is your boat isolated from shore side current?

How about adding some zincs?

These are galvanized bolts. Adding zinc to zinc will accomplish
little.

Casady

The zinc on those bolts was long gone.

So.... the zinc is just a coating and not mixed into the steel bolts?

Senior Member

On Jul 30, 6:47*pm, "Calif Bill" wrote:
"Richard Casady" wrote in message

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:40:29 -0700, "CalifBill"

. ..
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:14:30 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I know... I only post when I have a problem. *This happened two weeks
ago.
The bolt on the front outer piling holding the boat lift cradle pulley
sheared right off and the boat went in the drink. *Photos of the boat,
the
bolts, and some telltale corrosion streaks are stored at the links
below.

http://www.thespaceexplorers.com/cor...lts3.jpg*(boat in water)

http://www.thespaceexplorers.com/cor...olts1.jpg*(3/4 galv. bolts corroded
away
to nothing)

http://www.thespaceexplorers.com/cor...olts2.jpg(bolt rust stains on pulley
housing)

OK. *So my question is.......... is there any way to diagnose a
galvanized
bolts integrity before it rusts through like this again? * I can't seem
find my portable X-ray machine. * I also can't quite figure out how to
do
simple swapout on the other three. *I don't know anybody who swaps their
lift bolts out every few years!

I'm probably wrong, but that looks like electrolysis. *Which means
that you have some kind of current leakage somewhere - maybe from a
shore charger?

Is your boat isolated from shore side current?

How about adding some zincs?

These are galvanized bolts. Adding zinc to zinc will accomplish
little.

Casady

The zinc on those bolts was long gone.- Hide quoted text -

Happy bday, a day late if that was you they noted...

"Chuck" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
[...]

seem to
find my portable X-ray machine. I also can't quite figure out how to
do
simple swapout on the other three. I don't know anybody who swaps
their
lift bolts out every few years!

I'm probably wrong, but that looks like electrolysis. Which means
that you have some kind of current leakage somewhere - maybe from a
shore charger?

Is your boat isolated from shore side current?

How about adding some zincs?

These are galvanized bolts. Adding zinc to zinc will accomplish
little.

Casady

The zinc on those bolts was long gone.

So.... the zinc is just a coating and not mixed into the steel bolts?

Yup. They can be electro plated or better hot dipped.

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:47:42 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

[...]

OK. Although I would think that simply rplacing the bolts woild be
cheaper and easier than adding zincs.

Casady

wrote:

"Richard Casady" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Zincs are cheap. Just get a block of zinc and wire it to the lift.

Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 28, 3:14 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
I know... I only post when I have a problem. This happened two weeks ago.
The bolt on the front outer piling holding the boat lift cradle pulley
sheared right off and the boat went in the drink. Photos of the boat, the
bolts, and some telltale corrosion streaks are stored at the links below.

www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts3.jpg (boat in water)

www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts1.jpg (3/4 galv. bolts corroded away
to nothing)

http://www.thespaceexplorers.com/cor...olts2.jpg(bolt rust stains on pulley
housing)

OK. So my question is.......... is there any way to diagnose a galvanized
bolts integrity before it rusts through like this again? I can't seem to
find my portable X-ray machine. I also can't quite figure out how to do a
simple swapout on the other three. I don't know anybody who swaps their
lift bolts out every few years!

Chuck

Thanks for posting this, Chuck. I've sent it on to my son who works
with this kind of thing.