Default Grady White falls off of boat lift - Pics

"JimH" wrote in message
On Jul 28, 8:15 pm, DK wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:24:54 -0700 (PDT), JimH wrote:

On Jul 28, 4:20 pm, hk wrote:
Chuck wrote:
I know... I only post when I have a problem. This happened two weeks
ago. The bolt on the front outer piling holding the boat lift cradle
pulley sheared right off and the boat went in the drink. Photos of
the
boat, the bolts, and some telltale corrosion streaks are stored at
the
links below.
http://www.thespaceexplorers.com/cor...olts3.jpg(boat in water)
www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts1.jpg(3/4 galv. bolts corroded
away to nothing)
http://www.thespaceexplorers.com/cor...2.jpg(boltrust stains on pulley
housing)
OK. So my question is.......... is there any way to diagnose a
galvanized bolts integrity before it rusts through like this again? I
can't seem to find my portable X-ray machine. I also can't quite
figure out how to do a simple swapout on the other three. I don't
know
anybody who swaps their lift bolts out every few years!
Chuck
Since apparently no one was injured, the important questions:

Was the boat damaged? Will your insurance cover any damages to the
boat
or the lift?

Maybe you need to check the area for stray electrical currents...and
also change all the bolts and use nuts and bolts you can swap out
every
season.
I have seen bolts looking like that taken off a wooden roller coaster
being restored. A friend of mine was helping with the restoration.
In this case constant friction and tension was the problem.

As a side note: Chuck, no offense but I can understand why you posted
the question here and not at your place. ;-)

Your place?

Wow. Warp17 is dumber than I thought. He thinks he's talking to the
guy that binned him?

That should be..........."the guy *WHO* binned him"

Stupid is as stupid does.

Eh?

~~ Snerk ~~

On Jul 28, 4:20 pm, hk wrote:
Chuck wrote:
[...]

guy that binned him?- Hide quoted text -

Great, he even failed at sucking up!!!!

"John H." wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:11:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

It could also be a case of disimular metals causing this accelerated
corrosion.

Marty

www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts3.jpg (boat in water)

http://www.thespaceexplorers.com/cor...olts2.jpg(bolt rust stains on pulley
housing)

OK. So my question is.......... is there any way to diagnose a
galvanized
bolts integrity before it rusts through like this again? I can't seem to
find my portable X-ray machine. I also can't quite figure out how to do
simple swapout on the other three. I don't know anybody who swaps their
lift bolts out every few years!

Chuck

I wondered if there might be a reaction between the zinc coating and the
chromium copper arsenate in the treated lumber. Lo and behold:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1987/baker87a.pdf

Look at the comparisons between galvanized, aluminum, and stainless steel
rates of corrosion when in treated wood.

That was a good reference. To catch everyone up, YES it is in sal****er.
As far as electrical isolation from shore power, I leave the circuit breaker
for the lift powered at all times since I use the lift a lot. The boat
itself is never connected to shore power. I never leave any part of the
boat or lift hanging down in the sal****er. That last photo of the
new-looking piling was from a neighbor lift where I am now visiting. My
actual one is older and worse looking.

On the other piling, I am going to put a strong lagbolt down the top end and
attach one end of a come-along to it with the other end under the beam
cradle. Then I will try to drive out the bad galvanized bolt with a new
galvanized bold with a thin plastic sleeve on it to isolate it from the
wood. I hate that this happened to me but I guess everyone should take a
look at their own lift situations.

Chuck (another one)

"Larry" wrote in message
"Chuck" wrote in news:GMpjk.273665$yE1.249046@attbi_s21:

I don't know anybody who swaps their
lift bolts out every few years!

We do now!

Yep........ at least once I will have....... :-)

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:14:30 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

I know... I only post when I have a problem. This happened two weeks ago.
The bolt on the front outer piling holding the boat lift cradle pulley
sheared right off and the boat went in the drink. Photos of the boat, the
bolts, and some telltale corrosion streaks are stored at the links below.

Chuck, does that bolt serve as the axle for the cradle pulley? If so
you want to find new ones that are hollow with a grease fitting on the
end. My lift is set up that way and being able to grease them
periodically eliminates a lot of friction between the axle and the
pulley. It minimizes corrosion also.

Check picture #11 for an example:

http://www.landandseamarine.com/lifts2.htm

The way you replace them is to take the boat off the lift, raise the
cradle, temporarily bolt 2 x 10s between the inner and outer pilings,
and then lower the cradle onto them. That takes the load off the
cables so you can replace the pulleys, axles, etc. Take a hard look
at the cables at the same time.

Excellent idea about the 2x10's. On my pulley, the there is a separate
stainless axle bolt which still looks new, and the 3/4" galvanized bolt for
support that corroded away. No grease fitting on the axle bolt, but it is a
plastic pulley with a small brass bushing. This helped a lot. Thanks.

Chuck

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:46:49 GMT, "Chuck" wrote:

.. .

On Jul 28, 4:14 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
[...]

Good luck with it, Chuck.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:40:29 -0700, "CalifBill"

.. .

www.thespaceexplorers.com/corrodedbolts2.jpg (bolt rust stains on pulley
housing)

OK. So my question is.......... is there any way to diagnose a galvanized
bolts integrity before it rusts through like this again? I can't seem to
find my portable X-ray machine. I also can't quite figure out how to do
simple swapout on the other three. I don't know anybody who swaps their
lift bolts out every few years!

I'm probably wrong, but that looks like electrolysis. Which means
that you have some kind of current leakage somewhere - maybe from a
shore charger?

Is your boat isolated from shore side current?

How about adding some zincs?

These are galvanized bolts. Adding zinc to zinc will accomplish
little.

Casady

"Chuck" wrote in

"Larry" wrote in message
"Chuck" wrote in

I don't know anybody who swaps their
lift bolts out every few years!

We do now!

Yep........ at least once I will have....... :-)

Well, at least it didnt end up bow first stuck into the bottom in 30' of
water, flood destructing its interior with seawater.

Be very thankful.....to the bolt gods.

Remind me again why we can't use STAINLESS bolts, other than the lift
manufacture saves 12 cents per unit cost??

We also have MONEL bolts if stainless won't work, adding 24 cents per unit
costs to the lift.

Navy brass is too soft.

HK HK is offline

"Larry" wrote in message
"Chuck" wrote in

I don't know anybody who swaps their
lift bolts out every few years!

We do now!

Yep........ at least once I will have....... :-)

Well, at least it didnt end up bow first stuck into the bottom in 30' of
water, flood destructing its interior with seawater.

Be very thankful.....to the bolt gods.

Remind me again why we can't use STAINLESS bolts, other than the lift
manufacture saves 12 cents per unit cost??

We also have MONEL bolts if stainless won't work, adding 24 cents per unit
costs to the lift.

Navy brass is too soft.

Only an old fart like you (or me) remembers monel.