DK DK is offline

Default Fuel Starvation?

Eisboch wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

That BMW email recommended "techron" as a fuel additive. To the best of my
knowledge, Chevron is the only brand of gasoline that is advertised to
contain techron.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/chevwtech/

Eisboch

I have two and didn't receive any email. Did you get one?

"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

That BMW email recommended "techron" as a fuel additive. To the best of
my knowledge, Chevron is the only brand of gasoline that is advertised to
contain techron.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/chevwtech/

Eisboch

I have two and didn't receive any email. Did you get one?

Nope. But, we don't have any BMW's anymore.

Eisboch

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:26:06 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

If not, there would be people wanting to sue them over
unsuccessfully using propane (or acetylene, or hydrogen) in a boat.

Propane mixes perfectly with air, with great ease, and has an octane
rating of 100. Other than that. If there is an ideal fuel, propane is
it.

Casady
HK HK is offline

wrote:

If not, there would be people wanting to sue them over
unsuccessfully using propane (or acetylene, or hydrogen) in a boat.

Propane mixes perfectly with air, with great ease, and has an octane
rating of 100. Other than that. If there is an ideal fuel, propane is
it.

Casady

The only problem I see with LPG as a fuel for boat engines is that it is
heavier than air and settles. If there is a leak in the tank or hoses,
and the tank is below deck, the bilges are going to fill up with a
pretty explosive gas. This is less of a problem on land vehicles,
because there are more ways for "escaping" LPG to vent to the open air.

Also, wouldn't the boat engine LPG fuel tank have to be a pressurized
vessel? Yet another system on a boat that would have to be watched
carefully.

We have a 500-gallon LPG tank buried in our backyard. Its presence used
to make me a bit nervous.

wrote:

[...]

Propane turns to a liquid at a reasonable pressure and typically vapor
supply pressures are not high at all. Gasoline is also heavier than
air in both liquid and vapor states so boats have the same problem
with either. Main issue is that there is not a robust supply system
in place to provide propane as a vehicle fuel. And a gallon of
propane only has 75% of the energy that a gallon of gas has so it
would need to be a lot cheaper per gallon.

HK HK is offline

wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks. My only real experience with LPG is household, and in observing
the LPG-powered towmotors I see from time to time at warehouses.

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:48:08 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"DK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

That BMW email recommended "techron" as a fuel additive. To the best of
my knowledge, Chevron is the only brand of gasoline that is advertised to
contain techron.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/chevwtech/

Eisboch

I have two and didn't receive any email. Did you get one?

Nope. But, we don't have any BMW's anymore.

Eisboch

I have owned two BMW's. One cost three hundred, the other seven
hundred.

Casady

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:50:46 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"DownTime" wrote in message
After a recent adventure to change the fuel sender, I had the misfortune
to have one of the 'sex-bolt'-like nuts on the inside of the tank break
off and fall into the tank. The only access is via the small opening when
the sender goes in. Unable to retrieve the broken nut, I called around and
heard from three hopefully reliable sources that there is a strainer at
the fuel line to prevent things such as this from entering the fuel line.

During the second trip out since the new sender was installed, we were
just about to the causeway bridge when the engine was acting as if it was
not getting enough fuel. Watching the fuel management gauge, I noticed it
going from its normal 11 gal at that speed, and slowly and consistently
drop to just under 6 gal and then started to buck and hesitate as if not
enough fuel. I was able to throttle down to idle and after a minute or so,
throttle up again. This was a consistent behavior during the entire
outing. Eventually idled home last last nite. On the positive side, it was
a clear nite, almost full moon and relatively no boat traffic.

All symptoms to me indicate the nut may be blocking the fuel line leading
from the tank. The main access hatch where the feel sender is installed is
NOT at the stern end of the fuel tank. It would be very difficult to gain
access to the tank.

The boat is just 4.5 years old. It looking at the other components, I also
noticed this is the original fuel bulb as when it was new. It did not feel
'hard' as it had been, and almost had a feel of simply being old rubber.
This is a sal****er environment and one thought is maybe an air leak or
some other scenario besides the extra nut in the tank. I plan to today
replace the bulb and any lines I can access which may appear dried,
cracked, old, or simply a possible candidate to the problem.

Any suggestions on maybe how to retrieve the nut from within the tank via
the maybe 2 1/2 inch opening into an 80-gallon fuel tank? Any other ideas
besides the nut which might help me resolve this issue?

Thanx in advance!!!

Wonder what metal that nut is made of??
If it's something magnetic, you should be able to find a long flexible wand
with a powerful magnet on the end for 'fishing'....

They also make wands with a cable operated claw. Heard them called
'bolt retrievers' You buy them where you get the magnetic ones, that
is, any decent auto parts house.

Casady

wrote:

"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

That BMW email recommended "techron" as a fuel additive. To the best of
my knowledge, Chevron is the only brand of gasoline that is advertised to
contain techron.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/chevwtech/

Eisboch
I have two and didn't receive any email. Did you get one?

Nope. But, we don't have any BMW's anymore.

Eisboch

I have owned two BMW's. One cost three hundred, the other seven
hundred.

Casady

In monthly repair bills? Seriously, I have been leasing for years now
so I can avoid those problems and if something does need repair, it's
covered and I have a free loaner while it's in the shop.

The sixty-six only cost 2500 new.

Casady
HK HK is offline

wrote:

"DK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

That BMW email recommended "techron" as a fuel additive. To the best of
my knowledge, Chevron is the only brand of gasoline that is advertised to
contain techron.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourfuels/chevwtech/

Eisboch
I have two and didn't receive any email. Did you get one?

Nope. But, we don't have any BMW's anymore.

Eisboch

I have owned two BMW's. One cost three hundred, the other seven
hundred.

Casady

In monthly repair bills? Seriously, I have been leasing for years now
so I can avoid those problems and if something does need repair, it's
covered and I have a free loaner while it's in the shop.

The sixty-six only cost 2500 new.

Casady

I bought a 2002ti for under $2400 new, back when it was new. It's about
what it was worth, then...and now. All the high-end German family cars I
have looked at in recent years seem grossly overpriced and overly
complicated. You have to work pretty hard to find a mid-range vehicle
that offers more than the Japanese offer these days. Of course, if you
have a really short dick and are in desperate need of making sure people
"notice* you when you pull into the supermarket parking lot, a nice "7"
series BMW will do, for the two people in the parking lot who give a
crap anymore about that sort of stuff.

No offense to any current, past or future "overdone" BMW owners, of
course. :)