Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Fuel Starvation?

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:50:46 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"DownTime" wrote in message
After a recent adventure to change the fuel sender, I had the misfortune
to have one of the 'sex-bolt'-like nuts on the inside of the tank break
off and fall into the tank. The only access is via the small opening when
the sender goes in. Unable to retrieve the broken nut, I called around and
heard from three hopefully reliable sources that there is a strainer at
the fuel line to prevent things such as this from entering the fuel line.

During the second trip out since the new sender was installed, we were
just about to the causeway bridge when the engine was acting as if it was
not getting enough fuel. Watching the fuel management gauge, I noticed it
going from its normal 11 gal at that speed, and slowly and consistently
drop to just under 6 gal and then started to buck and hesitate as if not
enough fuel. I was able to throttle down to idle and after a minute or so,
throttle up again. This was a consistent behavior during the entire
outing. Eventually idled home last last nite. On the positive side, it was
a clear nite, almost full moon and relatively no boat traffic.

All symptoms to me indicate the nut may be blocking the fuel line leading
from the tank. The main access hatch where the feel sender is installed is
NOT at the stern end of the fuel tank. It would be very difficult to gain
access to the tank.

The boat is just 4.5 years old. It looking at the other components, I also
noticed this is the original fuel bulb as when it was new. It did not feel
'hard' as it had been, and almost had a feel of simply being old rubber.
This is a sal****er environment and one thought is maybe an air leak or
some other scenario besides the extra nut in the tank. I plan to today
replace the bulb and any lines I can access which may appear dried,
cracked, old, or simply a possible candidate to the problem.

Any suggestions on maybe how to retrieve the nut from within the tank via
the maybe 2 1/2 inch opening into an 80-gallon fuel tank? Any other ideas
besides the nut which might help me resolve this issue?

Thanx in advance!!!

Wonder what metal that nut is made of??
If it's something magnetic, you should be able to find a long flexible wand
with a powerful magnet on the end for 'fishing'....

They also make wands with a cable operated claw. Heard them called
'bolt retrievers' You buy them where you get the magnetic ones, that
is, any decent auto parts house.

Casady