Gfretwell

Default Care of boat after each use.

I'm sure there is a lot more that you could do but what you are doing sounds
like plenty. One suggestion, don't cover it up wet, if necessary leave it out
overnight uncovered and cover it up the next day after the sun dries it out.
Trapped moisture is what kills things on boats. Better is a car port type of
deal to keep the sun and weather off it. Mine is a silver tarp on an electric
conduit frame over my lift.
Woodchuck

You do more than I do! Just use "marine" waxes as I think they are of better
quality for protection. What I have found was first to use StarBright
wax/cleaner which works well and quick to remove all the marks, dirt, etc
from the hull and then re-do it with a better wax. I use 3M from Boaters
World.

"Rob V" wrote in message
We are finally new boat owers. After much deliberation and test driving -
my wife an I ended up going w/ a Tige 22v Riders edition.

We absolutely love the boat. This is our first boat and a pretty
substantial purchase for us.
Im just curious besides the normal engine maintaince and service - what
other things should we be doing after each time we use the boat.

Right now our "pre-launch" checklist including most of the normal stuff -
from checking the oil and fluids to the trailer and tow hook up. Im a bit
anal and would like a post ride list.

Right now - for the most part - after we get back (we tow it to/from the
lakes) we hang any jackets used in our garage to dry - put the cover on

the
boat and thats pretty much it.
Am I missing anything obvious that I should be doing? I would like to

hear
from some experienced boaters and get in a good habit.

We only us it on fresh water - so Im not really sure it necessary to rinse
it after each use. Should I let the boat air dry out before putting the
cover back on? The main problem is most of the time when we get back -

its
just about dark - so the dew on forming already and most likley nothing

will
dry outside.

Also - what about washing / waxing the hull - any recommendations on a
particular brand - or is normal car wash / wax (turtle wax) ok to use?

The
dealer recommended 303 Aerospace protectant for the vinyl in the boat -

any
comments on that stuff?

Thanks for any help!

-Rob

Paul

Right now our "pre-launch" checklist including most of the normal stuff -
from checking the oil and fluids to the trailer and tow hook up. Im a bit
anal and would like a post ride list.

I think checklists are great and am developing one for us, it may be anal
but the last time, just as I was backing out of our slip, I had a mild heart
attack when I suddenly wondered if I had unhooked the shore power. I had, it
was just me finding something to freak out about.

It was after that when I decided that I will do up a list for going out and
coming in. I have also sworn not to check it off by memory but to actually
*look* to see that I have hooked up/unhooked things.

I have also forgotten to hook up to shore power after coming back in, no
biggy but it shows you that until you build habits a list can be a good
idea.

My friend investigates aircraft accidents and one of his recent ones was a
gear up landing. A very experienced pilot just plain forgot to put the gear
down on a multi-million dollar fighter jet. Lesson here, don't check off the
list by memory, *look* to see that you actually did it.

Ed

If you are keeping it out of the water....
-Turn off battery switches, keep battery charged if boat is not used for
more than a couple weeks. I used to use a cheap ray-jeff marine on
board AUTOMATIC charger and leave it plugged in all the time.
-open drain plug (make sure you put this on the pre-launch list to close
it), make sure trailer tongue is high enough so that water drains back
-spray corrosion block on engine, and behind electrical panel (If
possible) and anywhere else where electrical components or bare metal
live- trailer electrical good as well)
-dry out life jackets, gear etc. and don't store them in a damp locker
-buy a square (or round, depending on brand) dehumidifier and put it on
the boat to drive out the moisture while sitting. (80-120 watts nominal)
-Adjust your sprinkler heads so they do not hit the trailer. (This is a
big deal in FL where we water the lawn almost daily)
-Store with engine DOWN so prop area does not fill with water
-
I like meguires wax products but everyone has their opinion, spare the
abrasives until it is as old as my boat.

Congratulations on the new boat and congrats on being smart enough to
think about all this now instead of in a year when more new boats owned
by new boat owners look really old.