Ed

Default Care of boat after each use.

If you are keeping it out of the water....
-Turn off battery switches, keep battery charged if boat is not used for
more than a couple weeks. I used to use a cheap ray-jeff marine on
board AUTOMATIC charger and leave it plugged in all the time.
-open drain plug (make sure you put this on the pre-launch list to close
it), make sure trailer tongue is high enough so that water drains back
-spray corrosion block on engine, and behind electrical panel (If
possible) and anywhere else where electrical components or bare metal
live- trailer electrical good as well)
-dry out life jackets, gear etc. and don't store them in a damp locker
-buy a square (or round, depending on brand) dehumidifier and put it on
the boat to drive out the moisture while sitting. (80-120 watts nominal)
-Adjust your sprinkler heads so they do not hit the trailer. (This is a
big deal in FL where we water the lawn almost daily)
-Store with engine DOWN so prop area does not fill with water
-
I like meguires wax products but everyone has their opinion, spare the
abrasives until it is as old as my boat.

Congratulations on the new boat and congrats on being smart enough to
think about all this now instead of in a year when more new boats owned
by new boat owners look really old.

Paul wrote:
Right now our "pre-launch" checklist including most of the normal stuff -
from checking the oil and fluids to the trailer and tow hook up. Im a bit
anal and would like a post ride list.

I think checklists are great and am developing one for us, it may be anal
but the last time, just as I was backing out of our slip, I had a mild heart
attack when I suddenly wondered if I had unhooked the shore power. I had, it
was just me finding something to freak out about.

It was after that when I decided that I will do up a list for going out and
coming in. I have also sworn not to check it off by memory but to actually
*look* to see that I have hooked up/unhooked things.

I have also forgotten to hook up to shore power after coming back in, no
biggy but it shows you that until you build habits a list can be a good
idea.

My friend investigates aircraft accidents and one of his recent ones was a
gear up landing. A very experienced pilot just plain forgot to put the gear
down on a multi-million dollar fighter jet. Lesson here, don't check off the
list by memory, *look* to see that you actually did it.