BooBoo12321

Default Buying first boat w/ 3 partners ?

I am thinking of buying a boat with 2 or 3 partners. At most, I'd use the
boat twice a week next summer (and same with the other partners) So
there's plenty of time for 3 or 4 people to share the boat.... And, of
course, this will spread docking, insurance, repair and storage costs 4
ways..... Any comments on this approach? Any hidden caveats? I am
carefully choosing the partners....(responsible, working friends w/ spare
money)

For now, we are looking at 19-22 foot Bowrider. Basically to lounge
around on for a few hours at a time...Maybe try some water-skiing.

Also, we aren't that boat savvy, and all fairly busy with careers, so we
don't want a repair lemon... Is it better to pay more up front, and get a
nicer, newer boat, rather than find a perceived deal, and start pouring
money into some old boat (and end up spending just as much , if not more)

To avoid "hidden startup charges", what are the most common "freebie"
accessories I should look for? (That aren't really factored into the
price) Stuff that I'd have to buy regardless.... Trailer, Cover,
lifejackets, marine radios?

I was told by an avid boatman to avoid mass produced boats, such as
Bayliner, SeaRay, Maxum, etc...He said these boats are not well built, and
the mechanics he spoke to are always fixing these.... Instead , he said to
find a boat like: Grady White, Boston Whaler, Pursuit, HydraSport, ProSport,
Edgewater.... What do you think of this? Also, he said it is MUCH better
to get a fully outboard motor. Much easier to service. Do not get I/O or
inboard. They are much more troublesome....He also said try to get a Jap.
motor, like Yamaha, Honda, Nissan....

What are your thoughts on these suggestions ? THANKS

Jim Donohue

I am not a small boat guy so I will leave those questions to someone who
knows something.

I do however have a good bit of partnership experience.

First decide how the partnership ends. How many partners to end it and how
to do it...Get that in place before you buy anything.

Second decide how a partner leaves. Do he sell his share or simply walk
or...

Third decide how costs are divided up and paid. Note that this is related
to prior and next item. Have clear plans for repairs and maintenance.
Unless someone is well suited to the role pay an outsider to do them. More
expensive but it vastly limits partnership friction.

Fourth decide how the boat is scheduled. I recommend a regular schedule of
"ownership" with the owner allowing other partner usage as he sees fit.

Fifth - Write it all down. You will be sorry if you don't...and it may well
cost you a friend or a lot of money.

Jim
"BooBoo12321" wrote in message
. net...

c.haidar

I think Jim made some very good points. I wanted to add that I bought my
boat with my father in law thinking I will only take it out a few hours a
week, as it turns out I got addicted to wakeboarding and now take it out
2 -3 times a week. Luckily, he never wents to to take it out, but if he did
i would be screwed. be careful, boats are addictive
"Jim Donohue" wrote in message
[...]

Keith

Have a good lawyer and bail bondsman to help you out when you shoot one or
both of them.

Too many problems. Go it alone.

--

Keith
__
[...]

Tony Thomas

Don't do it. Someone will tear the prop up and not tell anyone and the next
time you go to take it out, you can't because the prop is messed up and
noone will take responsiblity for it.
Who gets it on the 4th of July weekend, Labor day weekend, etc. My guess is
everyone will want it for the holidays.
What happens when you go to get in the boat and there are potatoe chip
crumbs everywhere and ants crawling around.

Don't do it.

As for the brands, all the brands your friend recommended don't make (or
speciallize) in bowriders. They make great fishing boats. Don't get hung
up on brand. Find a boat you like that has been took care of and put your
money into a used boat for yourself. Use the boat and if you find you don't
use it enough to justify then sell it.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

[...]

BooBoo12321

Excellent points. Thank you.

Are you and all your partners able to boat on weekdays as easily as
weekends? Consider schedule snafus oriented around weekends.

I will be taking the summer off, so I'll have all the weekday time I want.
During summer, one could theoretically break each evening into 2
shifts....5-7pm & 7-9pm.
So 10 weekday shifts, and maybe 10 more on the weekend...
With some scheduling, I think there's plenty of time for every to use the
boat.
Besides, the partners are personal friends, and we would be boating together
often.

Water skiing implies at least two other persons along with you. Are your
friends and family able to boat on weekdays as easily as weekends?

Consider
schedule snafus oriented around weekends.

Can't you do it with one other person? Yes, I can find people to go with.
Recall, the partners are personal friends, and we would be boating together
often.

BooBoo12321

Good points, Tony.

There is no way I am absorbing all the costs of ownership alone.
So, it's either get annoyed at the partners, or get no boat at all.
B/c the price of the boat is not the issue, its all the other costs that
worry me.

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
[...]

Keith

The devil's dictionary entry for "advice" is: "Asking for someone's approval
of a course of action you've already decided upon."

Looks like that pretty much sums up your original post. Go ahead and report
back if you're all still friends in a year. Doubtful. Just remember, the
**** will hit the fan for whoever has the boat registered in their name.

--

Keith
__
[...]

Wayne.B

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:01:41 GMT, "BooBoo12321"
wrote:
There is no way I am absorbing all the costs of ownership alone.
So, it's either get annoyed at the partners, or get no boat at all.
B/c the price of the boat is not the issue, its all the other costs that
worry me.

There's an old saying about boats, usually attributed to J.P. Morgan,
that goes something like: "If you have to ask, then you can't afford
it."

There's a lot of truth to that unfortunately. My advice is to buy
what you can afford and enjoy it for what it is. You'll keep your
friends as friends, have a boat to use when ever you want, and
maintain it (or not), as you see fit.

noah

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:32:22 GMT, "BooBoo12321"
wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with Tony. For this size boat, buy your own. You
will have the luxury of using it whenever you want, and you won't have
to alienate friends trying to find out who dinged the prop, or left
the gas tank empty.

Good friends are more important than a boat, and there *will* be
conflicts.

My brother-in-law and I bought a small boat, many years ago, and got
along fine with it. My ex-wife, however, had a major problem
everytime my brother-in-law took the boat. "Why does he get it so
many weekends?", etc. The killer was that she hated boating, and
wouldn't go with me when she had the chance. I dumped the wife and
kept the boat.

Get a boat trailer combo, do your homework, and enjoy your boat.
noah