Tony Thomas

Default Buying first boat w/ 3 partners ?

Don't do it. Someone will tear the prop up and not tell anyone and the next
time you go to take it out, you can't because the prop is messed up and
noone will take responsiblity for it.
Who gets it on the 4th of July weekend, Labor day weekend, etc. My guess is
everyone will want it for the holidays.
What happens when you go to get in the boat and there are potatoe chip
crumbs everywhere and ants crawling around.

Don't do it.

As for the brands, all the brands your friend recommended don't make (or
speciallize) in bowriders. They make great fishing boats. Don't get hung
up on brand. Find a boat you like that has been took care of and put your
money into a used boat for yourself. Use the boat and if you find you don't
use it enough to justify then sell it.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"BooBoo12321" wrote in message
. net...
I am thinking of buying a boat with 2 or 3 partners. At most, I'd use

the
boat twice a week next summer (and same with the other partners) So
there's plenty of time for 3 or 4 people to share the boat.... And, of
course, this will spread docking, insurance, repair and storage costs 4
ways..... Any comments on this approach? Any hidden caveats? I am
carefully choosing the partners....(responsible, working friends w/ spare
money)

For now, we are looking at 19-22 foot Bowrider. Basically to lounge
around on for a few hours at a time...Maybe try some water-skiing.

Also, we aren't that boat savvy, and all fairly busy with careers, so we
don't want a repair lemon... Is it better to pay more up front, and get a
nicer, newer boat, rather than find a perceived deal, and start pouring
money into some old boat (and end up spending just as much , if not more)

To avoid "hidden startup charges", what are the most common "freebie"
accessories I should look for? (That aren't really factored into the
price) Stuff that I'd have to buy regardless.... Trailer, Cover,
lifejackets, marine radios?

I was told by an avid boatman to avoid mass produced boats, such as
Bayliner, SeaRay, Maxum, etc...He said these boats are not well built, and
the mechanics he spoke to are always fixing these.... Instead , he said

find a boat like: Grady White, Boston Whaler, Pursuit, HydraSport,

ProSport,
Edgewater.... What do you think of this? Also, he said it is MUCH

better
to get a fully outboard motor. Much easier to service. Do not get I/O or
inboard. They are much more troublesome....He also said try to get a

Jap.
motor, like Yamaha, Honda, Nissan....

What are your thoughts on these suggestions ? THANKS