DJ

Default Buying first boat w/ 3 partners ?

[snip excellent give and take on relative merits of large outboard vs. i/o]
ending with

Not saying you're wrong, just Personal
Preference: why competition and choice are Good Things.

I won't argue with the points made by both posters, especially that
statement. (OK, I *might* argue a little on the relative costs, but close
enough for discussion purposes). I've owned and operated both and
understand the relative costs, benefits, etc.

A *very* important consideration not mentioned is the amount of room an I/O
or inboard takes up in a 19-22ft boat such as a bowrider or ski/fish type
boat. If you want room enough for passengers, gear, or just moving around
(e.g. fishing) in a 20 +/- foot boat, you'll probably be happier with the
outboard. That in itself is the reason I switched our shallow draft
aluminum river boat - went from V8 w/ jet to large outboard w/ jet. both
were similar 20 +/- foot hulls. The disadvantages of the outboard (for me,
higher replacement cost and pi$$ poor fuel economy - it's an older one, with
a jet, remember) were far outweighed by it's benefits - far less weight and
far greater interior space.

But I use my boat a lot for long range, multi-day family camping, as well as
group hunting or fishing trips, and large group picnicing. Interior space
is very important and it's *very* nice to have it after suffering through
the large dog house for several years. I don't use it for skiing or
lounging (very fine uses of a boat, I might add, just not on my menu these
days). As always,

FWIW,

DJ