BooBoo12321

Default Buying first boat w/ 3 partners ?

Thanks for the advice. Will do.....

Also, I've been on a friend's boat a lot this summer
And I've taken a basic sailing class in the past.
And I can swim 1 mile.

Personal recommendation: Take the basic class before you buy the boat so
you'll at least have some idea of what you're in for ahead of time.

BooBoo12321

I know with a partnership, I will easily have as much time to use the boat
as I desire. (Realistically, 2x a week)
And there is a 100% chance my costs will be lower.....

What gameshow?
Lower, Bob!
Higher, Bob!!
LOWER, BOB!!!!
YAAAAAAAAH!!!

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message
om...
"BooBoo12321" wrote in message

v.net...
Don't go into a partnership think that it will reduce the cost of

ownership to a small fraction of sole ownership. For exmaple - If I
bought a boat with two other parties, I would expect (off the top of
my head) to save 40% (maaaaybe 50%) off the total cost of owning the
boat alone.

50% is a large fraction!!

But to save that 50% you are sharing with two other parties.

Some may go into a partnership with one other party and think their
cost will be cut in half. Or go in two other people and think that
their cost would be on third that of sole owner ship. A successful
partnership may have higher overall costs that need needed to be
divided - that was my point.

certain maintenance items that many owners may do

themselves might be better "contracted" out in a partneship.

ALL work would be contracted out, b/c we have no boat knowledge.

BooBoo12321

Thanks for the advice.

200hp ?! I saw a boat that had an I/O with only 115HP !
Most 19' boats I see (in the $5k range) do not have 200hp,
but more like 115-175hp.

eg:
1992 18FT STINGRAY BOWRIDER (model 556 )
Low hours, excellent condition, trailer, many extras. Must sell, $6,500
Merccruiser 2.0 115hp
108 hours
I/O (stern-drive)
EZ loader trailer (2" ball)

---

Also, at 19-22ft you're getting to the upper limit of outboards. You'll
want close to 200hp, and the 200hp outboards are new, expensive and heavy.
I/O engines pretty much start at 200hp and go up from there. Get at least
a V6 (200-230hp) or a small V8 (around 250hp or so).

BooBoo12321

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out...

There is an excellent article in the current issue of SAIL magazine about

boat
partnerships that will ask and answer a lot of questions that will not

even be
raised here. I strongly suggest that you read it.

DJ

[snip excellent give and take on relative merits of large outboard vs. i/o]
ending with

Not saying you're wrong, just Personal
Preference: why competition and choice are Good Things.

I won't argue with the points made by both posters, especially that
statement. (OK, I *might* argue a little on the relative costs, but close
enough for discussion purposes). I've owned and operated both and
understand the relative costs, benefits, etc.

A *very* important consideration not mentioned is the amount of room an I/O
or inboard takes up in a 19-22ft boat such as a bowrider or ski/fish type
boat. If you want room enough for passengers, gear, or just moving around
(e.g. fishing) in a 20 +/- foot boat, you'll probably be happier with the
outboard. That in itself is the reason I switched our shallow draft
aluminum river boat - went from V8 w/ jet to large outboard w/ jet. both
were similar 20 +/- foot hulls. The disadvantages of the outboard (for me,
higher replacement cost and pi$$ poor fuel economy - it's an older one, with
a jet, remember) were far outweighed by it's benefits - far less weight and
far greater interior space.

But I use my boat a lot for long range, multi-day family camping, as well as
group hunting or fishing trips, and large group picnicing. Interior space
is very important and it's *very* nice to have it after suffering through
the large dog house for several years. I don't use it for skiing or
lounging (very fine uses of a boat, I might add, just not on my menu these
days). As always,

FWIW,

DJ