Default stern drive gear oil leaking out weephole

So I'm not very mechanical, and my dad, who is, helped me replace the
water pump (all of it) in my 1985 mercruiser alpha one stern drive.

Since we didn't know what the hell we were doing, and didn't really
follow the instructions in my SELOC manual, we ended up installing the
water pump without one part (which we suspected was missing but
thought maybe since it didn't come with this particular part that
maybe we didn't need it).. Before installing the water pump, we
poured the gear lube oil back into cavity below the water pump (this
took freakin' forever).... then installed the water pump, and
reattached the lower unit.

I didn't actually run the engine at this point because I suspected
missing parts, but one thing I noticed was gear lube oil leaking out
the weephole in the lower unit.

Well, today, we removed the lower unit again and completed the water
pump installation. The two pieces we hadn't installed were the
flinger (aka "rubber ring") that sits on top of the water pump
housing, and the drive shaft o-ring. So we added those parts, and
noted the oil leak on the shift shaft. Not sure where the oil came
from. We also replaced the rubber washer in the oil passageway
between the upper and lower unit.

At this poitn, btw, the lower unit was still full of oil. We'd never
completely refilled the oil but since we were only installing a few
things above the water pump we just left the oil in there.

After reattaching the lower unit again, I proceeded to fill the unit
with gear lube. Removed the vent and drain screws, and shoved in a
squeezable bottle of marine gear lube I'd picked up at an auto parts
shop. And I squeezed. I don't know how much had come out of the 10oz
squeeze tube, but suddenly, oil started pouring out the weephole!

Now, I haven't removed the lower unit again to inspect, but I wondered
what I ought to do. Clearly I've got a leak somewhere, I'm just not
sure where to look. Perhaps the oil seal on the shift shaft is bad.
Wouldn't surprise me, I ran the boat for 5 minutes with a completely
failed water impeller (unknowningly). I wasn't paying attention to
the temp gauge, and we heated the einge so hot that even after 45
minutes of sitting in the water waiting, it was almost too hot to
touch!

Recommendations, besides paying better attention to the temp gauge in
the future?

Thanks.

Rick

On Sat, 3 May 2008 20:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Rick Root
wrote:

So I'm not very mechanical, and my dad, who is, helped me replace the
water pump (all of it) in my 1985 mercruiser alpha one stern drive.

I'm not a mechanic, and hopefully one will step in and answer your
question.

Here's a site that seems helpful with the installation of a water pump.
Perhaps it is in a little more depth than the manual you had, and you may
key on something you missed.

http://tinyurl.com/424wpd

Good luck.
--
John *H*
Jim Jim is offline

"Rick Root" wrote in message
[...]

The best way to check for leaks is to drain the oil and pressurize the drive
and listen for leaks or use a soapy solution to spray the suspect areas and
look for air bubbles. If you have no luck, you need to separate the gear
cases and check the shift shaft seal, water pump base seals, and upper
gearcase drive shaft seals. The oil passage must be blocked to pressurize
the gearcase halves. Every time you separate the gearcases you should
replace the tiny seal between them. Coat the seal with bellow adhesive for
good measure.

You will need to purchase a Stant cooling system tester and a gearcase
filler pump that fits the quart size gear lube bottles.

On May 4, 7:09*am, "Jim" wrote:

The best way to check for leaks is to drain the oil and pressurize the drive
and listen for leaks or use a soapy solution to spray the suspect areas and
look for air bubbles.

I can't really do that because the oil is coming out the weephole.
I'll have to separate the gear gase cuz the leak is inside it
somewhere.

cases and check the shift shaft seal, water pump base seals, and upper
gearcase drive shaft seals. The oil passage must be blocked to pressurize
the gearcase halves. Every time you separate the gearcases you should
replace the tiny seal between them. Coat the seal with bellow adhesive for
good measure.

I'll check these things today, but I think I might know what the issue
is... the pump base for the "early units" and "alpha one" drives are
slightly different. Very slightly. We noticed when installing the
pump base that it didn't go on quite right and we ended up drilling a
hole in the base to for one of the metal dowels (or whatever you call
them when they're not wood). The hole we drilled was the same size as
in the original base, same depth, and everything else about the base
looked exactly the same.

But that would indicate that we bought a pump housing kit that
included an "early unit" base.

So I'm when we take it apart, I'm going to put the original water pump
base back on, double check the quality of the oil seal in it (should
be fine since it wasn't leaking before), and check the shift shaft oil
seal and upper drive shaft o ring.

You will need to purchase a Stant cooling system tester and a gearcase
filler pump that fits the quart size gear lube bottles.

picked one up yesterday but wanted to use up the gear lube in the
squeeze tubes first.

Rick

There is a small o-ring that seals the hole between the two halves. That
might be the problem. It may not have stayed in place while you
reassembled. I use a little bit of grease to hold it. Basically you need
to pull it apart again and check that as well as the seal in the upper
housing. To check the upper seal in the lower unit you will need to remove
the water pump. Or pressurize it. Just use a few psi, not a lot.

Running without cooling water can damage the seals in the lower unit.
Usually the rubber couplings on the exhaust and exhaust bellows show damage
as well so that is one thing to check to get an idea if you had run it too
long without water. If they are not damaged then the overheating probably
did not damage the outdrive. You can visually inspect some of the seals
with just the two halves apart.

"Rick Root" wrote in message
[...]

"Rick Root" wrote
You will need to purchase a Stant cooling system tester and
a gearcase filler pump that fits the quart size gear lube bottles.

picked one up yesterday but wanted to use
up the gear lube in the squeeze tubes first.

I've never seen a radiator tester used on an outdrive, although I don't see
any reason why it wouldn't work if you can figure out a way to adapt its
fittings. I use one of these: http://www.mercstuff.com/pressuregage.htm (You
can also find some tips on water pump replacement on that site if you browse
around.)

Jim Jim is offline

"Ernest Scribbler" wrote in message
. ..
"Rick Root" wrote
You will need to purchase a Stant cooling system tester and
a gearcase filler pump that fits the quart size gear lube bottles.

picked one up yesterday but wanted to use
up the gear lube in the squeeze tubes first.

I've never seen a radiator tester used on an outdrive, although I don't
see any reason why it wouldn't work if you can figure out a way to adapt
its fittings. I use one of these:
http://www.mercstuff.com/pressuregage.htm (You can also find some tips on
water pump replacement on that site if you browse around.)

All you need is the adapter from the gear lube filler kit to put on the end
of the Stant hose. Now you have a multi purpose tool. Nothing wrong with the
tool you have though.

"Jim" wrote
All you need is the adapter from the gear lube filler kit to put on the
end of the Stant hose. Now you have a multi purpose tool.

Clever.

Mercruiser Upper Outdrive Seal leaking drive oil [email protected] General 7 August 23rd 07 01:33 PM
75 Stern Drive again... Rand_man50 via BoatKB.com General 12 September 19th 06 03:57 AM
75 stern drive Rand_man50 General 7 September 19th 06 02:52 AM
Antifreeze leaking from stern drive closed cooling system 470 merc Bossi General 6 June 26th 06 11:36 AM
losing oil stern drive carson General 1 August 20th 03 11:11 PM