Default The power supply done blowed up...

Crap - the PS went on the main computer.

I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.

F'in PCs.
HK HK is offline

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Crap - the PS went on the main computer.

I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.

F'in PCs.

You need to retain me to build you a computer that performs and doesn't
blow up. I promise not to incorporate *any* ETEC parts. I'll put on a
legit copy of XP Pro if you like.

Really. Macs are sorta like boats when it comes to buying parts. Whereas
pcs parts are dirt cheap.

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

Crap - the PS went on the main computer.

I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.

F'in PCs.

Power supplies on Macs go bad too... And they cost (I am NOT kidding) 20
times
as much to replace.

HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Crap - the PS went on the main computer.
|
|I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.
|
|F'in PCs.

Lemme guess...... an E-machine....

You think he spent that much? :-)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:47:36 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Crap - the PS went on the main computer.
|
|I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.
|
|F'in PCs.

Lemme guess...... an E-machine....

Please - built by me.

I called my brother who has several and he said he goes through one or
two a month.

This one was a 500 watt PS, but it's cheap - I just took it apart -
all potted, nothing fused, etc.

HK HK is offline

news
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Crap - the PS went on the main computer.
|
|I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.
|
|F'in PCs.

Lemme guess...... an E-machine....

Please - built by me.

Don't blame the fact that it is a PC. Blame it on the PS you purchased.

I called my brother who has several and he said he goes through one or
two a month.

I would not listen to any advice from your brother anymore.

This one was a 500 watt PS, but it's cheap - I just took it apart -
all potted, nothing fused, etc.

And that is the fault of the PC............or you for purchasing a cheap ass
PS? ;-)

I wonder if it sez ETEC on the side?

news
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Crap - the PS went on the main computer.
|
|I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.
|
|F'in PCs.

Lemme guess...... an E-machine....

Please - built by me.

I called my brother who has several and he said he goes through one or
two a month.

This one was a 500 watt PS, but it's cheap - I just took it apart -
all potted, nothing fused, etc.

Educated guess, an electrolytic capacitor failed.

Senior Member

On Feb 12, 4:49*pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
Crap - the PS went on the main computer.

I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.

F'in PCs.

That's what you get for plugging it into the same socket as the
intergalactic time/pizza relocater.

Frekin' Ronco relocaters...hurmph..

news
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Crap - the PS went on the main computer.
|
|I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.
|
|F'in PCs.

Lemme guess...... an E-machine....

Please - built by me.

I called my brother who has several and he said he goes through one or
two a month.

This one was a 500 watt PS, but it's cheap - I just took it apart -
all potted, nothing fused, etc.

Educated guess, an electrolytic capacitor failed.

Probably. The machine boots fine, but only lasts for five minutes
then goes stone cold dead.

I took the PS apart - everything potted which I suppose I should have
suspected so you can't really tell if anything is cooked by looking. I
hooked it up to AC and tested the loads - crapped out in less than
five minutes. Held the loads fine up to failure though. Interesting.

So the chore for tomorrow is get a new power supply.

I talked to my brother tonight about it - he's got 800 or so PCs under
his umbrella at the health centers he supports. He said that over the
past three years or so, he's noticing more and more power supply's
just crapping out. He stocks them now that money is tighter - can't
just pull out the goodies and buy a new computer like he used to. He
also used to spec out 500 watt supplies - now he specs out 750 to slow
the rate of attrition down.

Based on what I see with this bad one, he's right.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:08:17 -0500, HK wrote:

I wonder if it sez ETEC on the side?

Strangely enough, it's an Allied supply - a divison of Yamaha.

Figures.

DC Power supply EASI54 Electronics 4 April 6th 06 01:40 PM
12 volt power supply? David Electronics 5 October 22nd 03 06:06 PM
12volt PC Power Supply David Tuff Cruising 11 September 29th 03 01:12 AM
12volt PC Power Supply Glendon Electronics 1 September 27th 03 04:59 AM
Apelco 510 Handheld VHS Power Supply Randy Electronics 0 August 4th 03 01:19 AM