HK HK is offline

Default The power supply done blowed up...

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

I have three fans inside my current desktop PC box, in addition to the CPU
fan, the power supply fan and the video card fan. Also, each of the two
hard drives in the box have their own fans. That's a total of eight fans -
damned thing ought to be able to levitate on its own.

My SATA drive box also has a fan.

I wonder about your point there, too...that all these fans are using
energy the computer's power supply has to provide. But what the hell...I
am just an English major.

Well, it depends. If the fans are running on the 120v line voltage, then
the computer's power supply is not affected by the load. But in the case of
USB powered devices, the load is on the computer's power supply.

Eisboch

Well, I never claimed to be an 'lektricety maven...None of the fans are
or seem to be connected to USB ports. The SATA box has lots of pretty
lights, too, and apparently they can be made to perform some sort of
light show. Gotta love the few remaining geeks at HP.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:38:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:13:26 -0500, "D.Duck" wrote:

news On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 18:47:36 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Crap - the PS went on the main computer.
|
|I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.
|
|F'in PCs.

Lemme guess...... an E-machine....

Please - built by me.

I called my brother who has several and he said he goes through one or
two a month.

This one was a 500 watt PS, but it's cheap - I just took it apart -
all potted, nothing fused, etc.

Educated guess, an electrolytic capacitor failed.

Probably. The machine boots fine, but only lasts for five minutes
then goes stone cold dead.

I took the PS apart - everything potted which I suppose I should have
suspected so you can't really tell if anything is cooked by looking. I
hooked it up to AC and tested the loads - crapped out in less than
five minutes. Held the loads fine up to failure though. Interesting.

So the chore for tomorrow is get a new power supply.

I talked to my brother tonight about it - he's got 800 or so PCs under
his umbrella at the health centers he supports. He said that over the
past three years or so, he's noticing more and more power supply's
just crapping out. He stocks them now that money is tighter - can't
just pull out the goodies and buy a new computer like he used to. He
also used to spec out 500 watt supplies - now he specs out 750 to slow
the rate of attrition down.

Based on what I see with this bad one, he's right.

You think it's because of people loading up their computers with USB powered
devices?

You know - that's a good point.

I saw a platform with two fans built into it the other day at Best Buy or
some store like that. You're supposed to place your laptop on it and the
fans in the platform are supposed to help cool the computer. But, it's USB
powered, so whatever energy is used by the two fans is provided by the
computer. Doesn't make sense.

Reverse entrophy. :)

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:50:48 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:53:58 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

This one was a 500 watt PS, but it's cheap - I just took it apart -
all potted, nothing fused, etc.

Does it have a low transom ?

Yep. And Yamaha fans.

Goes to show you. :)

On Feb 12, 4:54*pm, HK wrote:
Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
Crap - the PS went on the main computer.

I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.

F'in PCs.

You need to retain me to build you a computer that performs and doesn't
blow up. I promise not to incorporate *any* ETEC parts. I'll put on a
legit copy of XP Pro if you like.

Harry, do you build the power supplies too?

On Feb 12, 8:01*pm, "JimH" wrote:
"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in messagenews:fkf4r31aeo4uprrcvuqr3pu7gl0qorpvbm@4ax .com...

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 19:08:17 -0500, HK wrote:

I wonder if it sez *ETEC on the side?

Strangely enough, it's an Allied supply - a divison of Yamaha.

I doubt that. *But nice try.

Why do you doubt that, Jim?

wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:38:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I saw a platform with two fans built into it the other day at Best Buy or
some store like that. You're supposed to place your laptop on it and the
fans in the platform are supposed to help cool the computer. But, it's
USB
powered, so whatever energy is used by the two fans is provided by the
computer. Doesn't make sense.

USB is pulling power from the 5 volt rail and that is the biggest
supply in the system. Case fans are usually 12v but they don't really
pull that much power.
Back in the olden days the 5" disk drives were the power hog. Now it
is the CPU, memory and processor on the video card.

True enough, but watts are watts, regardless of which output of the power
supply they come from.
I just get a kick out of "cooling" the computer, using the computer's power
to run the fans. Sorta like running a window air conditioner in the middle
of your room, exhausting the warm air as it expels cool air.

Eisboch

wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:49:28 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|Crap - the PS went on the main computer.
|
|I'm telling you, the next computer is going to be a Mac.
|
|F'in PCs.

Lemme guess...... an E-machine....
Please - built by me.

I called my brother who has several and he said he goes through one or
two a month.

This one was a 500 watt PS, but it's cheap - I just took it apart -
all potted, nothing fused, etc.
Educated guess, an electrolytic capacitor failed.
Probably. The machine boots fine, but only lasts for five minutes
then goes stone cold dead.

I took the PS apart - everything potted which I suppose I should have
suspected so you can't really tell if anything is cooked by looking. I
hooked it up to AC and tested the loads - crapped out in less than
five minutes. Held the loads fine up to failure though. Interesting.

So the chore for tomorrow is get a new power supply.

I talked to my brother tonight about it - he's got 800 or so PCs under
his umbrella at the health centers he supports. He said that over the
past three years or so, he's noticing more and more power supply's
just crapping out. He stocks them now that money is tighter - can't
just pull out the goodies and buy a new computer like he used to. He
also used to spec out 500 watt supplies - now he specs out 750 to slow
the rate of attrition down.

Based on what I see with this bad one, he's right.

You think it's because of people loading up their computers with USB
powered devices?
I saw a platform with two fans built into it the other day at Best Buy or
some store like that. You're supposed to place your laptop on it and the
fans in the platform are supposed to help cool the computer. But, it's
USB powered, so whatever energy is used by the two fans is provided by
the computer. Doesn't make sense.

Eisboch

I have three fans inside my current desktop PC box, in addition to the CPU
fan, the power supply fan and the video card fan. Also, each of the two
hard drives in the box have their own fans. That's a total of eight fans -
damned thing ought to be able to levitate on its own.

My SATA drive box also has a fan.

I wonder about your point there, too...that all these fans are using
energy the computer's power supply has to provide. But what the hell...I
am just an English major.

Interesting, all this talk of power supplies.
My son went out yesterday and bought a new 'quiet' power supply and an
insulated CPU case because he found his computer too noisy down in his
bedroom.
He installed both parts and claims the noise level has dropped noticeably.
I wondered if this insulated case would cause overheating inside the box but
he says he now has more cooling fans than before. I'll keep an eye on it.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:26:04 -0400, "Don White"
wrote:

Interesting, all this talk of power supplies.
My son went out yesterday and bought a new 'quiet' power supply and an
insulated CPU case because he found his computer too noisy down in his
bedroom.
He installed both parts and claims the noise level has dropped noticeably.
I wondered if this insulated case would cause overheating inside the box but
he says he now has more cooling fans than before. I'll keep an eye on it.

The newer Intel CPUs run pretty cool. Big change in cooling recently.
More people going for quiet.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Interesting, all this talk of power supplies.
My son went out yesterday and bought a new 'quiet' power supply and an
insulated CPU case because he found his computer too noisy down in his
bedroom.
He installed both parts and claims the noise level has dropped noticeably.
I wondered if this insulated case would cause overheating inside the box but
he says he now has more cooling fans than before. I'll keep an eye on it.

The newer Intel CPUs run pretty cool. Big change in cooling recently.
More people going for quiet.

--Vic

My desktop box is under my desk and despite all the fans, is pretty
quiet. My server box is in a cabinet now. I keep the door to that
cabinet open when the server is running, just to ensure lots of air
flow, but it, too, is very quiet.

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:36:56 -0600, Vic Smith wrote:

The newer Intel CPUs run pretty cool. Big change in cooling recently.
More people going for quiet.

--Vic

Quiet is nice. It's funny, after all the years damaging my hearing, loud
music, heavy equipment, etc., now I like quiet.

DC Power supply EASI54 Electronics 4 April 6th 06 01:40 PM
12 volt power supply? David Electronics 5 October 22nd 03 06:06 PM
12volt PC Power Supply David Tuff Cruising 11 September 29th 03 01:12 AM
12volt PC Power Supply Glendon Electronics 1 September 27th 03 04:59 AM
Apelco 510 Handheld VHS Power Supply Randy Electronics 0 August 4th 03 01:19 AM