Bill Kiene

Default Boston Whaler Montauk

Sven,

I guess they still have the two plastic gas tanks under the seat? A built in
tank seems like it would be a better idea and more common on most boats of
it's class.

The 4 stroke Mercury, Honda and Yamaha 90hp all weigh about 380# and will
run quite a while in 13 gallon of fuel. Most boats that size have 20 to 35
gallon built in tanks.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Sven" wrote in message
et...

Was looking at the2004 17ft Montauk. Impressed with the boat itsself but

was
a little leary about the external fule tanks(2- 6.5 gal tanks). I was
wondering how far 13 gallons of fule will get you with a 90hp Merc? Anyone
have thoughts or input on this?

Thanks

Chuck Tribolet

The problem is that the Montauk has a realatively shallow V and
there just isn't a lot of space under the deck for a gas tank,
and the cable tunnel consumes most of what there is.
I used to think like you did, until started looking mine carefully
and realized there just wasn't a place.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Sven" wrote in message
et...

Was looking at the2004 17ft Montauk. Impressed with the boat itsself but

was
a little leary about the external fule tanks(2- 6.5 gal tanks). I was
wondering how far 13 gallons of fule will get you with a 90hp Merc? Anyone
have thoughts or input on this?

Thanks

Harry Krause

Dan Krueger wrote:

I got 5 MPG with my 4 stroke 115 on a trip to the Bahamas. Nearly at WOT the
whole way. The seas were incredibly flat that day.

Dan

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Folks are reporting 4-5 MPG with the four-stroke.

There's 24 gallon Pate tank that will fit under the seat.

Lots of whaler folks hanging out at
http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ul...i?action=intro

I've never been able to figure out why Whaler doesn't build in a decent
sized fuel tank on some of its smaller boats, expecially the 17 Montauk
Classic, which a lot of folks use to go quite a ways away from shore.
Carrying three 6 gallon tanks instead of having a built-in 20 or
24-gallon tank seems a bad compromise.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

NOYB

Whaler doesn't use a conventional stringer system, so there isn't as much
below-deck storage space for a built-in tank ...especially in the smaller
models. Also, the shallower vee of the Montauk prevents putting a tank down
into the depths of the vee. Conversely, my 17' Outrage can accomodate a 34
gallon built-in due to it's deeper vee and true "decking". The decking also
allows the Outrage to be self-bailing...unlike the Montauk.

Most of the Montauk owners are installing a 24 gallon Pate tank under the
helm seat. Of course, when you're getting 5-6mpg, that's more range then
you should probably ever need in a 17' boat.

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Folks are reporting 4-5 MPG with the four-stroke.

There's 24 gallon Pate tank that will fit under the seat.

Lots of whaler folks hanging out at
http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ul...i?action=intro

I've never been able to figure out why Whaler doesn't build in a decent
sized fuel tank on some of its smaller boats, expecially the 17 Montauk
Classic, which a lot of folks use to go quite a ways away from shore.
Carrying three 6 gallon tanks instead of having a built-in 20 or
24-gallon tank seems a bad compromise.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Danny Dickerson

I used to run a 17' fish and ski with an 88 hp Johnson. The tank held 12
gallons.

This was USUALLY enough for a day of cruising/fishing, but I often had
to be careful not to go too far. It is definitely not enough for two days.
So, if you go somewhere and want to leave the boat in the water, you'll
have to be sure to know where the marina is located.

Most boats of this size get 4-6 mpg, roughly.

Danny

Sven wrote in message
et...
Was looking at the2004 17ft Montauk. Impressed with the boat itsself but

was
a little leary about the external fule tanks(2- 6.5 gal tanks). I was
wondering how far 13 gallons of fule will get you with a 90hp Merc? Anyone
have thoughts or input on this?

Thanks

JDavis1277

My 16 Dauntess has a 45 gallon tank. Running a FICHT 115 OB I don't stop for
fuel very often.

Butch
Chuck Tribolet

Absolutely right about the gas tank, there's just no room under the deck.

Clssic (167)) Montauks will self bail under way. And they just get a little
water on the deck if you leave the plug out at the dock. Dunno about the
current (last couple of years) 170 Montauks.

--

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Folks are reporting 4-5 MPG with the four-stroke.

There's 24 gallon Pate tank that will fit under the seat.

Lots of whaler folks hanging out at
http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ul...i?action=intro

I've never been able to figure out why Whaler doesn't build in a decent
sized fuel tank on some of its smaller boats, expecially the 17 Montauk
Classic, which a lot of folks use to go quite a ways away from shore.
Carrying three 6 gallon tanks instead of having a built-in 20 or
24-gallon tank seems a bad compromise.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

NOYB

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
Absolutely right about the gas tank, there's just no room under the deck.

Clssic (167)) Montauks will self bail under way. And they just get a

little
water on the deck if you leave the plug out at the dock.

A little water is ok if you've painted the *inside* of your boat with
anti-fouling paint. Since nobody paints the inside, Montauk owners have to
rely on bilge pumps with auto switches to clear rain water.

Dunno about the
current (last couple of years) 170 Montauks.

Not self-bailing either. When I was shopping for a new boat, I looked at
the new Montauk vs. my current 1994 Outrage. The deeper vee, self-bailing
deck, built-in fuel tank, and built in live-well sold me on the Outrage.

--

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Folks are reporting 4-5 MPG with the four-stroke.

There's 24 gallon Pate tank that will fit under the seat.

Lots of whaler folks hanging out at
http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ul...i?action=intro

I've never been able to figure out why Whaler doesn't build in a

decent
sized fuel tank on some of its smaller boats, expecially the 17

Montauk
Classic, which a lot of folks use to go quite a ways away from shore.
Carrying three 6 gallon tanks instead of having a built-in 20 or
24-gallon tank seems a bad compromise.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

JDavis1277

Or, like most smart Whaler owners, use a boat cover to keep rain out?

Butch

NOYB wrote: A little water is ok if you've painted the *inside* of your boat

Whaler tips Bill Kiene General 3 September 2nd 03 09:33 PM
Boston Whaler FG General 2 August 2nd 03 11:54 AM