Chuck Tribolet

Default Boston Whaler Montauk

Absolutely right about the gas tank, there's just no room under the deck.

Clssic (167)) Montauks will self bail under way. And they just get a little
water on the deck if you leave the plug out at the dock. Dunno about the
current (last couple of years) 170 Montauks.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"NOYB" wrote in message ...
Whaler doesn't use a conventional stringer system, so there isn't as much
below-deck storage space for a built-in tank ...especially in the smaller
models. Also, the shallower vee of the Montauk prevents putting a tank down
into the depths of the vee. Conversely, my 17' Outrage can accomodate a 34
gallon built-in due to it's deeper vee and true "decking". The decking also
allows the Outrage to be self-bailing...unlike the Montauk.

Most of the Montauk owners are installing a 24 gallon Pate tank under the
helm seat. Of course, when you're getting 5-6mpg, that's more range then
you should probably ever need in a 17' boat.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dan Krueger wrote:

I got 5 MPG with my 4 stroke 115 on a trip to the Bahamas. Nearly at

WOT the
whole way. The seas were incredibly flat that day.

Dan

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Folks are reporting 4-5 MPG with the four-stroke.

There's 24 gallon Pate tank that will fit under the seat.

Lots of whaler folks hanging out at
http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ul...i?action=intro

I've never been able to figure out why Whaler doesn't build in a decent
sized fuel tank on some of its smaller boats, expecially the 17 Montauk
Classic, which a lot of folks use to go quite a ways away from shore.
Carrying three 6 gallon tanks instead of having a built-in 20 or
24-gallon tank seems a bad compromise.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.