NOYB

Default Boston Whaler Montauk

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
Absolutely right about the gas tank, there's just no room under the deck.

Clssic (167)) Montauks will self bail under way. And they just get a

little
water on the deck if you leave the plug out at the dock.

A little water is ok if you've painted the *inside* of your boat with
anti-fouling paint. Since nobody paints the inside, Montauk owners have to
rely on bilge pumps with auto switches to clear rain water.

Dunno about the
current (last couple of years) 170 Montauks.

Not self-bailing either. When I was shopping for a new boat, I looked at
the new Montauk vs. my current 1994 Outrage. The deeper vee, self-bailing
deck, built-in fuel tank, and built in live-well sold me on the Outrage.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"NOYB" wrote in message

Whaler doesn't use a conventional stringer system, so there isn't as

much
below-deck storage space for a built-in tank ...especially in the

smaller
models. Also, the shallower vee of the Montauk prevents putting a tank

down
into the depths of the vee. Conversely, my 17' Outrage can accomodate a

34
gallon built-in due to it's deeper vee and true "decking". The decking

also
allows the Outrage to be self-bailing...unlike the Montauk.

Most of the Montauk owners are installing a 24 gallon Pate tank under

the
helm seat. Of course, when you're getting 5-6mpg, that's more range

then
you should probably ever need in a 17' boat.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Dan Krueger wrote:

I got 5 MPG with my 4 stroke 115 on a trip to the Bahamas. Nearly

at
WOT the
whole way. The seas were incredibly flat that day.

Dan

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Folks are reporting 4-5 MPG with the four-stroke.

There's 24 gallon Pate tank that will fit under the seat.

Lots of whaler folks hanging out at
http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ul...i?action=intro

I've never been able to figure out why Whaler doesn't build in a

decent
sized fuel tank on some of its smaller boats, expecially the 17

Montauk
Classic, which a lot of folks use to go quite a ways away from shore.
Carrying three 6 gallon tanks instead of having a built-in 20 or
24-gallon tank seems a bad compromise.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.