Default Well the Grady is out of the running...

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 05:50:28 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
wrote:

On Feb 3, 3:38?am, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 21:24:52 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould

wrote:
On Feb 2, 12:55?pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
Sadly, that's it for the Grady.

Too bad.

Now, onto other boats.

http://capehornboats.com/index_files/Page540.htm

http://www.contender.com/boats.aspx?id=458

http://www.regulatormarine.com/32fs.html#javascirpt

You had previously expressed some interest in:

http://www.pacificskiffs.com/

Off the table as well?

Not really. ?I'm probably going to take a ride up to Black Lab next
week and see exactly what kind of custom work they can do.- Hide quoted text -

Are you coming out to Marysville?

I have that on the list - certainly not in the next couple of weeks,
but towards the end of Feb.

Depends on what I find up at Black Lab.

The thought has been running around in my head about having a custom
boat built because, to be honest, I can't find a boat that has
everything I want done the way I want it.

Everything seems to be a compromise.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. :)

wrote:
[...]

It is possible that it is both, the boat is a compromise and you are
getting old and cranky.

wrote:
[...]

Or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky. �:)- Hide quoted text -

I'm reasonably acquainted with the folks at Pacific Skiffs (Pacific
Boats). It would be quite likely that they would be able to customize
one of their standard models to your exact specifications, but my
guess is that it would be more difficult to change the hull itself
substantially. They use some really thick aluminum, in huge sheets,
and it is cut to shape by another firm with a plasma cutter.
Reprogramming the plasma cutter for a one-off would probably be pretty
expensive, and then there's always the risk that the finished, untried
product might behave in some unpredicted manner. However, that's
merely a somewhat-informed impression and I could easily be wrong.

As far as superstructure, accessories, etc I know they can be quite
flexible and innovative. They were meeting some sales resistance on
one model because it didn't have a head, and lo and behold suddenly a
compartment appeared in the port forequarter of the pilothouse with
room for a marine toilet. The head is down in the bilge, so there was
almost no loss of space in the pilothouse.

Two huge markets for Pacfic Boats are the Alaska charter fishing
industry and boats built for the company's original purpose- tenders
for purse seiners.

For the second year in a row our regional Salmon-derby series (12
derbies throughout the year) will be awarding a Pacific Boats 23-
footer as grand prize.

Don't know whether they can build exactly what you want, but I'm
impressed with the quality of their boats. There are a lot of slap-
dash, backyard-welded sort of aluminum boats around and I think
Pacific Boats are in a separate and much higher class than that.

Do they have a dealer on the East Coast?

If not, it might be an opportunity for somebody. Pacific Boats won't
sell into the market looking for the cheapest available aluminum boat,
but should appeal to experienced boaters with the ability to discern
and appreciate a quality build.