jcaruso56

Default Proline or Grady? Help!

Hi, I am in the market for a new/used boat,and I am looking at a -1994,
grady 272 sailfish,twin 200 OB,....and a 1996 proline 2950 ,twin 225
OB......I live in the northeast,and do a lot of offshore fishing 30 to 40
miles off.....and maybe 6 to 8 trips to the canyons,so I need it to be
seaworthy.....I have done all the homework on the outboards,and fuel economy
etc.....I can't decide which one will fit my needs,as far as a good ride in
3-4 chop,,,,... and any info would be greatly appreciated....thanks....jeff

Harry Krause

jcaruso56 wrote:

Hi, I am in the market for a new/used boat,and I am looking at a -1994,
grady 272 sailfish,twin 200 OB,....and a 1996 proline 2950 ,twin 225
OB......I live in the northeast,and do a lot of offshore fishing 30 to 40
miles off.....and maybe 6 to 8 trips to the canyons,so I need it to be
seaworthy.....I have done all the homework on the outboards,and fuel economy
etc.....I can't decide which one will fit my needs,as far as a good ride in
3-4 chop,,,,... and any info would be greatly appreciated....thanks....jeff

Both are good boats, but the Grady's quality is higher. Also, I have
heard, but cannot verify or even recall where I read it, that that model
Proline had some handling problems. You're going to be spending a lot of
Euros for either of those rigs...so make sure you hire a good surveyor
and have the engines closely checked, too.

A three to four foot chop is going to prevent about any planing boat in
that size from giving a "good ride" at any decent clip of speed. Three
to four foot waves are another matter.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Paul Schilter

j,
I'd go with the ProLine, displacement, displacement, displacement.It's a
couple of years newer, bit bigger and a good boat as is the Grady. IMHO
Paul

"jcaruso56" wrote in message
Hi, I am in the market for a new/used boat,and I am looking at a -1994,
grady 272 sailfish,twin 200 OB,....and a 1996 proline 2950 ,twin 225
OB......I live in the northeast,and do a lot of offshore fishing 30 to 40
miles off.....and maybe 6 to 8 trips to the canyons,so I need it to be
seaworthy.....I have done all the homework on the outboards,and fuel

economy
etc.....I can't decide which one will fit my needs,as far as a good ride

in
3-4 chop,,,,... and any info would be greatly

appreciated....thanks....jeff

Gene Kearns

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:41:27 -0500, "jcaruso56"
wrote:

Hi, I am in the market for a new/used boat,and I am looking at a -1994,
grady 272 sailfish,twin 200 OB,....and a 1996 proline 2950 ,twin 225
OB......I live in the northeast,and do a lot of offshore fishing 30 to 40
miles off.....and maybe 6 to 8 trips to the canyons,so I need it to be
seaworthy.....I have done all the homework on the outboards,and fuel economy
etc.....I can't decide which one will fit my needs,as far as a good ride in
3-4 chop,,,,... and any info would be greatly appreciated....thanks....jeff

I'd probably lean toward the boat that you think can be serviced most
competently and most economically. Realistically, they are about
equal.

NOYB

Because they're stronger than a Proline. Look at a 10 year old Grady and an
8 year old Proline and see which one has "stress cracks".

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:43:52 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

No brainer: Grady.

Not that I have anything against Grady-White, mind you, but why?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

Diver1055

Because they're stronger than a Proline. Look at a 10 year old Grady and an
8 year old Proline and see which one has "stress cracks".

I've got a 94 2950 Can't say I have any stress cracks
JohnH

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:58:34 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Because they're stronger than a Proline. Look at a 10 year old Grady and an
8 year old Proline and see which one has "stress cracks".

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:43:52 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

No brainer: Grady.

Not that I have anything against Grady-White, mind you, but why?

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/

Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/directions.asp Where

Southport,NC is located.
http://www.southharbourvillage.com/autoupdater.htm Real Time Pictures

at My Marina
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats

at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

I check my Proline every time I go out. Haven't found a 'stress crack' yet. It's
a 1997, so it's getting pretty close to your eight year mark. I have had good
luck with it all around.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD