Default Mercruiser shift problem after impeller repl.

I just replaced the impeller on my 1988 Mercruiser Alpha One drive,
and now when shifting from forward to neutral, it stays in forward,
when the handle gets to the neutrral detent position. Also, when
shifting into reverse, I need to move the handle further than the
reverse detent position.
It works fine other than this. Could it be anything more than the
cable adjustment?
We just got the boat, and it overheated when we took it out the first
time, and am not sure the problem wasn't there at that time.
Any sugestions? I am new to IO's This boat was always trailered, and
the drive outside appearance, as well as the gears look new.
Thanks in advance.
Jim Jim is offline

"Sailor" wrote in message
I just replaced the impeller on my 1988 Mercruiser Alpha One drive,
and now when shifting from forward to neutral, it stays in forward,
when the handle gets to the neutrral detent position. Also, when
shifting into reverse, I need to move the handle further than the
reverse detent position.
It works fine other than this. Could it be anything more than the
cable adjustment?
We just got the boat, and it overheated when we took it out the first
time, and am not sure the problem wasn't there at that time.
Any sugestions? I am new to IO's This boat was always trailered, and
the drive outside appearance, as well as the gears look new.
Thanks in advance.

Most likely one of the shift rods got bent. The drive needs to be locked in
forward gear. Clamping a vice grip onto a prop blade while installing should
provide enough tension to keep it from slipping out. The shift lever must be
in forward gear also. And/or if the rod in the drive is not pointing fore
and aft while in forward gear, it wasn't indexed properly when you put the
drive halves together.

On Jan 26, 11:33*pm, Sailor wrote:
I just replaced the impeller on my 1988 Mercruiser Alpha One drive,
and now when shifting from forward to neutral, it stays in forward,
when the handle gets to the neutrral detent position. Also, when
shifting into reverse, I need to move the handle further than the
reverse detent position.
It works fine other than this. Could it be anything more than the
cable adjustment?
We just got the boat, and it overheated when we took it out the first
time, and am not sure the problem wasn't there at that time.
Any sugestions? I am new to IO's *This boat was always trailered, and
the drive outside appearance, as well as the gears look new.
Thanks in advance.

Aftermarket Marine Parts has a good HELP section. Try looking at
http://amarket.com/f091.htm

Hope this helps, Eldon

"Sailor" wrote
Could it be anything more than the cable adjustment?

With your drive raised, you should be able to see or feel the
upper/intermediate shift shaft interface. (They're parts 21 and 22 in this
pictu http://www.mercruiserparts.com/IMAGE...9964/30065.png) You
might need an inspection mirror to get a good look. Those parts should be
pointed straight toward the front of the boat when your shifter is in full
forward, just like they are in the picture. If they are *not* pointed
straight ahead in full forward, it's probably the cable adjustment. If they
*are* pointed straight ahead, the problem is probably that the intermediate
shaft didn't get indexed correctly on the shift shaft splines during
reassembly, as others have suggested.