Default Johnson 50 hp electric shift problem

I have a '73 50 hp Johnson hydro-electric shift. When I put it in reverse
it does not engage all the way and there is a grinding noise. It goes into
forward and neutral just fine. Although there is a grinding sound, the prop
does turn somewhat in the reverse direction. I do believe that both
solenoids have to fully engage for reverse. I don't know if it's electrical
or something in the drive-train. Any help appreciated.
email:krupnick at comcast dot net

mhcooper wrote:
I have a '73 50 hp Johnson hydro-electric shift. When I put it in reverse
it does not engage all the way and there is a grinding noise. It goes into
forward and neutral just fine. Although there is a grinding sound, the prop
does turn somewhat in the reverse direction. I do believe that both
solenoids have to fully engage for reverse. I don't know if it's electrical
or something in the drive-train. Any help appreciated.
email:krupnick at comcast dot net

1973 should be "PowerShift II" and is a fully mechanical follow-through
in addition to the hydraulic aspect of this leg. It could be as simple
as a cable adjustment, or a clutch dog / reverse gear failure.

What is the model # ?

Rob

mhcooper wrote:
I have a '73 50 hp Johnson hydro-electric shift. When I put it in
reverse it does not engage all the way and there is a grinding noise. It
goes into forward and neutral just fine. Although there is a grinding
sound, the prop does turn somewhat in the reverse direction. I do believe
that both solenoids have to fully engage for reverse. I don't know if
it's electrical or something in the drive-train. Any help appreciated.
email:krupnick at comcast dot net

1973 should be "PowerShift II" and is a fully mechanical follow-through in
addition to the hydraulic aspect of this leg. It could be as simple as a
cable adjustment, or a clutch dog / reverse gear failure.

What is the model # ?

Rob

The motor is Johnson model # 50ESL72C 50hp and is a 72 model year not 73.
The shifter switch and the shift diodes check good. Both solenoids check 5.3
ohms which is in range. Is it time to tear the lower unit apart? I could
probably get away without reverse for the remainder of this season, and
rebuild in winter. The lower unit lube was showing signs of water
infiltration anyway so minimally a seal kit is in order.
Mike

mhcooper wrote:
mhcooper wrote:

[...]

OK... first check the gear oil level, top it off.

It sounds like the reverse gear & dog are lunched, though.

Rob