Patrick McDougal

Default Mercruiser 120 shift interrupter

I have a 1982 Stingray with a Mercruiser 120 and MCM 120 Stern Drive. I
just replaced the points type ignition with a Delco EST and have some
questions about the shift interrupter (which I cannot seen to find). The
timing instructions tell you to short the shift interrupter as part of the
process. I traced the wiring as shown in the service manual and found two
wires (gray and black) with ring terminals that are taped off but no
terminal block or switch. If I connect these two terminals, it kills the
engine.. Does this engine/sterndrive combo have a shift interrupter?

Thanks,
Patrick

gatt

"Patrick McDougal" wrote in message

I have a 1982 Stingray with a Mercruiser 120 and MCM 120 Stern Drive. I
just replaced the points type ignition with a Delco EST and have some
questions about the shift interrupter (which I cannot seen to find).

The shift interrupter should be an exposed switch made of black plastic that
sits horizontally on top of the engine itself. When you move the throttle
between forward and reverse, you can see the switch activate.

-gatt
1987 SeaRay/ Merc 120.