JIMinFL

Default mercruiser- oil leaking from shift shaft? help

"chris" wrote in message
I've fixed my stuck choke issue (thanks rec.boats btw) and noticed when
running hooked up to the flush kit that I had a very small amount of
water mixed with oil dripping from inside the outdrive, right below
where the bellows joins the drive, near the shift shaft. Because of the
angle (it was dripping from between the gimbal ring and the outdrive
where the lower and upper unit meet) I couldn't get a better angle to
see. Plus I was already soaking from the amount of water leaking from
the flush kit and out the engine exhaust.

I have a pre-alpha mercruiser (type MR) where I have the fill hole at
the bottom of the lower unit on the prop housing and the top vent hole
at the top of the upper unit- so obviously oil is supposed to flow
between the units- somewhere I've got a leak, but then I also have to
have a water leak somewhere, maybe around the impeller body? Again, this
is like a drip a second type of deal when running the engine with the
flusher attached.

I'm all ears. This is the last current issue I need to resolve before
hitting the lake this weekend. Thanks!

I know there's a drop of trim fluid in the pic but it isn't the culprit
I'm after here...

thanks
Chris

Yoke seal may be leaking. If so, u-joint bellow is also leaking. You need to
pull the drive to check. Also check gear lube for water. loosen the
drain/fill screw enough to let a few drops out. Water will come out before
gear oil.

Drive Saver/Spacer users sought Skip Gundlach Boat Building 20 April 3rd 06 06:11 PM
Drive Saver/Spacer users sought Skip Gundlach Cruising 20 April 3rd 06 06:11 PM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM
shift interrupt switch Fred General 5 October 5th 05 04:12 PM