Tim Tim is offline

Default Later all Time to go to a NYE gig.

Just got a call a few moments ago. a local band has a really good gig
lined up and at the last minute their bass player gets a bad dose of
the stomach flu and wondered if I could be a stand in..

SURE!

Happy New Year!
Tim Tim is offline

JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
Just got a call a few moments ago. a local band has a really good gig
lined up and at the last minute their bass player gets a bad dose of
the stomach flu and wondered if I could be a stand in..

SURE!

Happy New Year!

How did it go?

Happy New Year to you and your family also.

Oh Jim,A Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

The gig was great! I've played with these guys before, and it was a
40's big band type set up. we did stuff by Glen Miller, Harry James,
Benny Goodman, Stan Kenton, etc. etc. About anything delicious was
available. Anything from Prim rib (I don't eat raw meat, though) to
crab puffs,alaskan salmon, and the list goes on. I took it easy on the
eats,. No need to stuff yourself and be miserable for a week. This was
a corp. affair. Very good crowd, and no loud rolling drunks. Some gal
wanted to sing with the band, and usually that turns into some
catastrophe, but the main guy with the band knew her and seeing she is
the CEO's daughter.. well.... she did a great job on Tommy Dorsey's
"I'm getting sentimental over you" You could tell she was a fan of
Diana Krall. I confess, I really didn't know that tune very well, so
I "faked it" (stumbled though it) and it did turn out rather well....I
think.

About 200 +/- people there. Played for 4 hrs, got $400.00. Plus, did
an extra 1/2 hr. got another $100.00. A lot of money throwing around
for a 5 piece band. These guys are a whole lot more top class than I
am. The guitar player is right up there with the likes of Joe Pass, or
Barney Kessel. When he was younger and lived in New york, he used to
get playing tips from Les Paul himself. Anyhow, the wife and I got
home at about 6:30 yesterday morning, and I must have slept till about
3 in the afternoon, then laid around the rest of the day and evening.
It sure was fun, but I wouldn't want to make a steady habit of it
anymore. Glad I didn't have to go to work the next day. But if they
call again, I'll probably do it again.

On Jan 2, 10:58*am, Tim wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Diana Krall is a very talented lady.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
On Jan 2, 10:58?am, Tim wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely! I think I've got about every one of her cd's.

On Jan 2, 11:53*am, Tim wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 2, 10:58?am, Tim wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

Absolutely! *I think I've got about every one of her cd's.- Hide quoted text -

Watched a full length concert video of her. She is amazing. Sweet
music seems to ooze from her pores!

On Jan 2, 12:17*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 09:07:23 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Jan 2, 11:53*am, Tim wrote:
call again, I'll probably do it again.

Diana Krall is a very talented lady.

Absolutely! *I think I've got about every one of her cd's.- Hide quoted text -

Watched a full length concert video of her. She is amazing. Sweet
music seems to ooze from her pores!

Antibiotics should clear that right up!

Probably won't help for your dumbass remarks, though.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
Watched a full length concert video of her. She is amazing. Sweet
music seems to ooze from her pores!

Speaking of....

a guy told me once, that you could always tell when you were listening
to a great blues band, because there was BBQ sauce oozing out of the
PA speakers....

On Jan 2, 1:11*pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
Watched a full length concert video of her. She is amazing. Sweet
music seems to ooze from her pores!

Speaking of....

a guy told me once, that you could always tell when you were listening
to a great blues band, because there was BBQ sauce oozing out of the
PA speakers....

Yep, and we've got some great blues and Q places around here!
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:
On Jan 2, 1:11?pm, Tim wrote:
wrote:
Watched a full length concert video of her. She is amazing. Sweet
music seems to ooze from her pores!

Speaking of....

a guy told me once, that you could always tell when you were listening
to a great blues band, because there was BBQ sauce oozing out of the
PA speakers....

Yep, and we've got some great blues and Q places around here!

You've got it made! There's nothing around my place to hear a good
blues band, that is unless I go 100 mi. to the St. Louis area then
there the blues joints seem to be a dime a dozen. I rememeber a couple
years ago I was in the St.L area and went down to the Broadway Oyster
Bar . It's a run down old place, or at least looks that way on the
outside. Inside it's blues bar in the front and cajun sea food in the
back. You walk into the place and you know they mean business.
Perfect!

The night I was there, the band was "Erma Bakker and the St. Louis All-
Stars" Erma was about 5'5", was about as round as she was tall,
verrrry black, and had a gold cross on one of her front teeth. Man
could she belt the blues! She had one of those magicly raunchy voices
that was perfect for that type of venue. Plus the lead guitarist could
handle a Strat like very much like Rory Galleger, and play slide like
Johnny Winter. I couldn't hang around long, but for about an hr. and a
half I was in 7th heaven.

In ways I wish that kind of thing was local shearly for the easy
access, but then again, it would probably get old if it was available
all the time next time I'm down there, I'll hit the place up again.

http://www.broadwayoysterbar.com/

When is the best time ??? Jasper Windvane Cruising 9 March 27th 06 02:39 AM
No more time for this. Maxprop ASA 0 April 2nd 05 08:13 PM
I just haven't had time Michael ASA 87 July 16th 04 12:31 AM
Her 1st Time! Bobsprit ASA 28 July 15th 03 05:47 AM