Tim Tim is offline

Default Later all Time to go to a NYE gig.

On Jan 3, 7:25*am, wrote:
On Jan 2, 4:21*pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I like seeing local talent. There's lots and lots of damned good
musicians out there that have just not been *discovered*. It's a
damned hard racket to get into, especially if you have stars in your
eyes.

Yep, some of those poor kids won't make it past the local bar on "Jam
night", And in ways I think some are way too good to be /or become
"commercialized" . sad to say....

On Jan 3, 8:31*am, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
On Jan 2, 4:21 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:58:25 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

You've got it made! *There's nothing *around my place to hear a good
blues band, that is unless I go 100 mi. to the St. Louis area then
there the blues joints seem to be a dime a dozen
I like "blues" in general, but most of the time you see amateur blues
bands that suck - big time.

I like seeing local talent. There's lots and lots of damned good
musicians out there that have just not been *discovered*. It's a
damned hard racket to get into, especially if you have stars in your
eyes.
Kind of ruins it for me.

Funny story about blues music. *Way back in time, New Orleans Civic
Auditorium - BB King and band.

I was still in the service and of my buddies got five of us tickets -
excellant seats - third row back/center - out freakin' standing.

I'm normally oblivious to things and I didn't notice that I was the
only white guy sitting in that area - meaning floor seats - kinda
stood out if you get what I mean.

So I'm digging on the music and having a great time - first set goes
by, break, then out for the second set. *Band is starting up with some
kind of high energy R&B thing and BB steps up to the microphrone,
starts with Lucille and says - "This one's for the white guy down
front" and swings into this rockin' blues number. *I'm thinking "white
guy down front" then my buddy says "I think he means you". *I look
around and sure enough... *:)

Pretty cool. *

There's a local blues club here that has local talent, and some of the
best soul food in the world! Almost all of the times I've been, I've
been the only white guy in the place. The big ole lady that does the
cooking calls me Bright, so now that's kinda my nickname in the place!
She loves the fact that I feel comfortable there and love her cooking!

What is the name and where is this club located?- Hide quoted text -

Daddy D'z:

http://atlanta.citysearch.com/profil...daddy_d_z.html

Do you ever go to Blind Willies? Kind of over rated, but you can get
some damned good acts in there. Always too damned crowded though.

On Jan 3, 8:47*am, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have always loved blues, including blues/rock groups such as the
Allman Bros. and Eric Clapton. *Many years ago, Underground Atlanta had
an old time musician who played the classic Black-blues (ie Muddy
Waters, Howling Wolf etc). *I think his name was Red.- Hide quoted text -

At Dante's?

On Dec 31 2007, 6:23*pm, Tim wrote:
Just got a call a few moments ago. a local band has a really good gig
lined up and at the last minute their *bass player gets a bad dose of
the stomach flu and wondered if I could be a stand in..

SURE!

Happy New Year!

That's excellent especially since NYE gigs usually pay about twice
what other gigs do. Hope you had fun. My current cover band took the
night off because our lead singer had plans to be away then, that she
already had when she joined the band earlier this year. I kept hoping
to get a similar last minute call for a fill-in (I play keyboards),
you never know, but nope ended up staying home with the wife and kids
to watch the ball drop and Miley Cyrus and Carrie Underwood and Fall
Out Boy sing on tv. Boy for some reason New Year's Eve seemed to be a
lot more fun twenty years ago or so!

Luckily the band I'm working regularly with now already has a pretty
full slate of gigs filling in all the way through the summer, so that
should help keep out on the water on the waverunner this summer.

richforman

wrote:
[...]

Nope, it was on the main street, it was a pub and he played at the
window. It was about a half a block from Dante's. I think he was
blind, but it has been many years. I have always thought of Dante's
asng playing Jazz , not blues.

wrote:
[...]

I will have to check out Daddy D's. I have been to Blind Willies, but i
really don't like the Virginia-Highland's crowd. Too yuppish for me.

wrote:
[...]

This is the guy I was talking about, Piano Red:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Red

On Jan 3, 4:12*pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here

wrote:
[...]

asng playing Jazz , not blues.- Hide quoted text -

They go back and forth. Seems like I go to underground every couple of
years, and Dante's is either blues or jazz. It's pretty much a tourist
trap, anyway.

On Jan 3, 4:16*pm, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
wrote:
[...]

really don't like the Virginia-Highland's crowd. *Too yuppish for me.- Hide quoted text -

Bingo. I only go to Blind Willies if it's someone I saw and really
like.

wrote:
[...]

I think they have actually pulled out of Underground, it really is a
sleazy, unsafe area today and I would not recommend anyone go there at
night.

When is the best time ??? Jasper Windvane Cruising 9 March 27th 06 02:39 AM
No more time for this. Maxprop ASA 0 April 2nd 05 08:13 PM
I just haven't had time Michael ASA 87 July 16th 04 12:31 AM
Her 1st Time! Bobsprit ASA 28 July 15th 03 05:47 AM