Default Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Dec 1, 5:49�am, wrote:
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:42:14 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 01:32:55 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

. ..
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:51:03 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

I *do* have a problem with mandatory helmet laws. �All the arguements
about
beoming a burden to society due to medical costs and increased insurance
premiums for all just don't hold up under close scrutiny.

Not to take this in a different direction, but I'm of the opinion that
if I am required to wear a seatbelt under the dubious rational that it
will "save" my life and reduce medical costs, then helmets should also
be required along with full leathers and body armor for motorcycle
riders.

The stated rational for seatbelts is BS for a number of reasons, but
the most important is that seatbelt use is over stated and over
reported in vehicle accidents resulting in skewed "safety" statistics.

Let's consider the opposite: �In the subset consisting of people ejected
from their vehicles during an accident, what percentage survive?

If I were a betting man, I would say, proportionally, about the same
as a motorcycle rider's.

However, the more important question is how many major accidents
result in ejection? �Probably about the same number as high speed
motorcycle accidents.

FAR more people suffer tramatic brain injury or death from head injuries in cars
than on motorcycles. If you aren't wearing a helmet when in a car, you are
simply asking for it!- Hide quoted text -

Twisted statistic. What percentage of automobile drivers or passengers
suffer brain injury in an accident vs the percentage of motorcyclists?

That's like saying, "Only one guy died while walking a tightrope
between
two skyscrapers in NYC last year, but 16 pedestrians were killed in
the same city while trying to use a crosswalk- therefore it can be
statistically proven that it's 16 times safer to walk a tightrope
several hundred feet in the air than to use a crosswalk." Not. :-)

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 02:15:30 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
news

Let's consider the opposite: In the subset consisting of people ejected
from their vehicles during an accident, what percentage survive?

My best Navy buddy didn't when he flipped his car on the DC loop
and it cut his legs off. He was 21.

Losing my legs would not fall under my personal definition of survival. But,
I'm funny that way. YMMV

"Didn't" means he was ejected and didn't survive. The car rolled on
him, cutting his legs off. He quickly bled to death.
Other mates who were in the same car told me what happened.
They were not wearing belts either, but didn't get ejected, and none
were even hurt beyond sprains and contusions.
It was a '53 Pontiac, a tank. Of course it didn't even *have*
seatbelts.
His name was Warren McKinnon and we were like brothers. I got out 4
months before him, and we had plans go to the West coast together.
Two weeks before his discharge I called the ship in Portsmouth talk to
him and was told he had been killed the previous week.
In the Warren McKinnon subset the survival rate was 0%.
Seat belts are a no-brainer, and I suspect those who resist them have
no problem strapping on a tin foil hat.
The first time my uncle saw me buckle mine he looked at me like I was
an idiot and said,
"What the hell's gonna happen if you go in the river!?!?"
I didn't pay any attention to him on that. Maybe he was thinking
about his horse and buggy days along the Wabash.
And I don't care what others wear if it's not my car, or my family.
I wore mine before it was law, and demanded my passengers wear theirs
so their heads wouldn't mess up my windshield. My prerogative in my
car. I'd do the same law is revoked. Besides, when buckling up I
always momentarily fancy myself as Mario Andretti.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 02:15:30 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
news

[...]

I'm A.J. Foyt. Nice to see you again.

wrote in message

There is, in fact, a national motorcycle helmet law in
effect already. It only applies to people with something worth protecting.

Please provide a cite.

A while back the Fed refused money for road system maintenance if the state
did not have a helmet law .... similar to the 55 mph speed limit of the
70's. But that is changing.

Every year more states are changing the law or modifying it based on real
data.
Florida is a good example and reflects some common sense. There *is* a
helmet law, but you are not required to wear one if over 21 years of age and
can prove that you have at least some minimum amount of personal health
insurance.

There are more states that riding without a helmet is legal today than there
were 20 years ago.

Eisboch

"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Why? If some moron wants to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, who cares?
If you're stupid enough to think you're immune to head injuries, the gene
pool is better off without you. Give this 200 years and the 54% might shrink
a bit.

"HK" wrote in message

More regression.

Isn't it awesome?

Eisboch

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"HK" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

To quote a famous NG participate .....

"Damn straight!"

Eisboch

wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 16:02:10 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

There is, in fact, a national motorcycle helmet law in
effect already.

Please provide a cite.

Humorus wisecracks rarely are supported with cites.

"It only applies to people with something worth protecting."

Jeeze!

Ok. The "Duh" is on me. Tired and have a cold.

Eisboch