thunder

Default Tragic and Difficult Boating Lesson...

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 23:25:25 +0000, Gene Kearns wrote:

http://www.brunswickbeacon.com/
http://tinyurl.com/gzz7t

I read about that yesterday - idiots.

I'm not really sure if it was a sailboat or not.

That was my first thought, but is there an 18' catamaran sailboat that six
guys couldn't right?

Though their actions seem stupid, I've heard some posters, here, belittle
the dangers of 4-5 foot waves and heightened winds. I hope these guys
didn't come here and get the idea that this sort of challenge to Mother
Nature is safe.

Perhaps, charitably, they just got caught out. The one article states the
NWS had a small craft advisory out, but only warned of 10 mph winds and
1-2' waves. Still, I would consider a small craft advisory to eliminate
the use of an 18' boat.

I'm not sure where these guys put in at, but in those wind/wave
conditions, there wasn't a safe access to sheltered waters available. They
were essentially doomed from the time they pushed the boat off of the
trailer and left safe harbor.

G3

In article ,
thunder wrote:

[...]

kind of reminds me of stories about guys getting killed on their
Harleys, some of those stories have more details, like the guy was drunk
and so were the 2, 300lbs. babes he was giving a ride to.

max. crew weight on a Hobie or Prindle 18, should be around 400lbs. in
any kind of rough weather/seas, thats 2, good shape, experienced sailors.
6 on a Hobie 18 is a bad scenario anytime, it ain't the "love boat".
then the grieving famillies try to sue the boatbuilder, blah, blah......

consider the annual stories on the Miss. river of runabouts that run
into barges. how many beers does it take to not see a 4 story tow boat
with 3 wide x 5 long?