Senior Member

Default Yet Another Tragic Case......

On Dec 2, 11:25 am, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:08:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:
If a law went into effect tomorrow that mandated helmets in every state, by
how much would your current taxes, vehicle insurance and health insurance
premiums be reduced by?

I agree with you on this - it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

My argument is that the same logic behind no helmet laws should also
be applied to seat belts - personal choice.

And the odd thing is that the "safety" statistics for seat belt use
being more safe than not is highly fabricated and, frankly, false.

Every wreck I have been in I have seen seatbelts keep folks in place,
in the vehicle and away from the windows.. As a wrecker driver for
many years, the only ejections I ever saw were folks with no belts
on...

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"D.Duck" wrote in message

Not trying to argue, just get some points of view.

It does help. Someone is just being a turkey, in order to keep the
discussion going like a slowly dripping faucet.

It's RonPaulism, as it were.

Heh. I got in a debate with my newest, *very* liberal daughter-in-law a
couple of weeks ago.

I admit that I engaged more for the fun of it, watching her turn shades of
red. But ...

I hesitate to mention this subject because I am not looking for a debate
here. But the jist of the rational behind some of the arguments are similar
to the motorcycle helmet law thing .... meaning people get on a bandwagon
and don't know the facts. So, that said, and again, not trying to introduce
this very controversial and personal subject:

My daughter-in-law thinks I am closely related to Archie Bunker and, for
fun, I sometimes play the part. We were discussing a wide range of issues
and suddenly she said, "I suppose you oppose abortion as well".

I said yup.

Well, she went off on me like stink on you know what. While she ranted, I
looked over to the other family members who were present and quietly said,
"The next words out of her mouth will be, "What about rape?"

Sure enough.

Now I had her because I happened to have recently looked up these
statistics:

1% of abortions are done as a result of rape or incest.
6% are done because of a life threatening health issue to mother or unborn
child.
93% are done because the child is not wanted or is inconvenient.

These statistics are from a pro-abortion, planned parenthood organization,
by the way.

Point is ..... people should know the facts before making absolute
statements like, in the case of helmet laws, that they are paying more in
insurance and health programs because a small minority of people like to
ride without a helmet.

Said my piece.

Eisboch

D.Duck wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:08:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

If a law went into effect tomorrow that mandated helmets in every state,
by
how much would your current taxes, vehicle insurance and health insurance
premiums be reduced by?

I agree with you on this - it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

My argument is that the same logic behind no helmet laws should also
be applied to seat belts - personal choice.

And the odd thing is that the "safety" statistics for seat belt use
being more safe than not is highly fabricated and, frankly, false.

I really don't care one way or another. I have no idea what the data shows.

Why are there such laws in place if it doesn't help?

Not trying to argue, just get some points of view.

I find it hard to believe that insurance companies, who actually know
the cost, would promote anything that would cost them more money. If
seat belts and helmets were not safer, insurance companies would
aggressively fight against the laws.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Just be careful. The last thing we need right now is yet another
presidential candidate.

I will not seek, nor will I accept ....

Eisboch

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:02:58 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Again, I am willing to bet that the loudest advocates of helmet laws don't
own a motorcycle.

Most likely the loudest advocates are relatives of dead or
brain-damaged former motorcycle owners.
That's usually how it works, ala MADD.

--Vic

Senior Member

On Dec 2, 1:31 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:02:58 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Again, I am willing to bet that the loudest advocates of helmet laws don't
own a motorcycle.

Most likely the loudest advocates are relatives of dead or
brain-damaged former motorcycle owners.
That's usually how it works, ala MADD.

--Vic

What percentage of members of MADD do you suppose meet your stated
specifics? One quarter of one percent mabey??

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:02:58 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Again, I am willing to bet that the loudest advocates of helmet laws don't
own a motorcycle.

Most likely the loudest advocates are relatives of dead or
brain-damaged former motorcycle owners.
That's usually how it works, ala MADD.

--Vic

I understand and am sympathetic to their loss.

But you have to realize that for every death or serious injury, there are
hundreds of thousands, if not millions, that never crash or have an
accident.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Just be careful. The last thing we need right now is yet another
presidential candidate.

I will not seek, nor will I accept ....

Eisboch

If you're a human vegetable, you have no choice. You're drafted. You get a
free presidential dog, a speech writer recruited from the rec.guns
newsgroup, and you start calling everyone "folks".

Please be careful.

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:08:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

If a law went into effect tomorrow that mandated helmets in every state,
by
how much would your current taxes, vehicle insurance and health insurance
premiums be reduced by?

I agree with you on this - it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

My argument is that the same logic behind no helmet laws should also
be applied to seat belts - personal choice.

And the odd thing is that the "safety" statistics for seat belt use
being more safe than not is highly fabricated and, frankly, false.

Fabricated in what way and for what purpose?

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

Just be careful. The last thing we need right now is yet another
presidential candidate.

I will not seek, nor will I accept ....

Eisboch

If you're a human vegetable, you have no choice. You're drafted. You get a
free presidential dog, a speech writer recruited from the rec.guns
newsgroup, and you start calling everyone "folks".

Please be careful.

I am. And will be.

I am 58 years old, raised three kids, am a law-abiding citizen, pay my
taxes, married for 38 years or something ....

All I want to do is ride my bike sometimes with the wind blowin' thru my
thinning hair ....

Is *that* really too much to ask ...?

Eisboch