posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default Cruise Ship Runs Aground in Atlantic ICW - Obstruction Blocks Traffic

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:12:42 -0500, HK wrote:

I have seen plenty of powerboaters who do not give a tinker's dam about
their wakes. I've seen it in the ICW, and I see it out on Chesapeake
Bay, and I have seen it on the Patuxent River and its tributaries.

Why should anyone worry about their wake on Chesapeake Bay? It's open
water. The freighters don't worry about their wake, the Coast Guard
doesn't, The US Navy does not, tug boats don't. Wakes happen. On a
windy day the naturally occurring waves are 3 to 4 feet out there.

Not sure about the Chesapeake, but out here they certainly do care about
their wake. In the bay, frieghters have stand-on status, the Coasties
definitely slow down and know the rules when they pass another boat, and tug
boats when not engaged in operations, are courteous to a fault. Wakes happen
anyway, but not huge ones by arrogant Coasties or tugs.

Your transom is too low. Get over it, get a bigger boat, or don't go
out where the big boys play.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
HK HK is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
[...]

Wayne is very self-important on the bridge of his floating RV, and
obviously thinks the waterways are his alone. If you're in a smaller
boat, why, you shouldn't be in his way.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:29:06 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

Yep, especially when you were slammed by one in a 20 footer. Bigger boat
does not relate to bigger dick Wayne, although it may compensate for it in
your case.

That seems uncalled for. What happened to "lead by example"?
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"HK" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
" JimH" ask wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:51:08 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

Wayne's comment is not arrogance. It's realism.
Thank you.

There are a lot of wake whiners out there. :-)
Yep, especially when you were slammed by one in a 20 footer. Bigger
boat does not relate to bigger dick Wayne, although it may compensate
for it in your case.

Children, children! My experience is I'd rather a power boat go by
full blast. They make smaller wakes of shorter duration going full
blast than when they slow down trying to be polite. Any sailor whose
sailboat can't take a powerboat wake without stuff flying off the
shelves needs to get his act together.

Wilbur Hubbard

Really? Interesting, because when I come off plane and slow my boat way
down, there's no visible wake. There are bubbles. That's been true for
all the boats I've ever owned.

Duh. Are you dumb or something? Let's say the sailboat's motoring along
at six or seven knots. You need to be going about ten knots in your
powerboat in order to get around them in a timely manner. At ten knots
your powerboat is "plowing." That is it's making a big, slow, rolly wake.
This slow wake is worse than a high speed wake which has smaller waves at
a higher frequency.

You're welcome.

Wilbur Hubbard

Most of the sailboats I see out on Chesapeake Bay aren't motoring along at
any knots, they're under sail. And if I am following one up a narrow river
or inlet, I can get around it easily enough if I need to without churning
up a wake.

Sailboats under sail are steadied by their sails. You have plenty of space
on the Bay to pass them full throttle if you want and you can leave plenty
of distance between you and them. Slowing down in that case is stupid. The
only time any real sailboat is bothered by a wake is when it's motoring
along in a channel. Then the wake comes on the beam or quarter and rolls it
like crazy. The faster you pass them (provided you pass at a safe distance)
the less your wake will bother them. Take my word for it.

Some might give you the #1 signal but those people are too dumb to realize a
fast wake with smaller, high frequency waves tosses their boat around far
less than those obnoxious slow rolly wakes. Those are the ones that are most
disruptive.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 16:54:50 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

The difference is that where we were was not a place where one would expect
someone to come so close going so fast. There was simply no reason for him
to come as close as he did. He was just "in a hurry" without regard to
anyone else on the water.

I agree that passing too close at speed is poor seamanship.

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:29:06 -0500, " JimH" ask wrote:

Yep, especially when you were slammed by one in a 20 footer. Bigger boat
does not relate to bigger dick Wayne, although it may compensate for it in
your case.

That seems uncalled for. What happened to "lead by example"?

Like politics, this discussion, although initially worthwhile, has run it's
course.

Eisboch

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Was delivering a 110' boat to Fla., running down the ditch..... was an open
stretch, nothing in sight ahead, just the occasional side channel, doin
about 10K.
All of a sudden, looked up one of those side channels and noticed a
fisherman in a small flat bottom boat.... Oh Sh&t!!.....pulled em back but
knew it was too late!
As we went by, we could see that we'd sucked every last drop of water out
of that side channel and this "Goodoleboy" was high and dry in the mud with
his lower jaw hangin about down to his kneecaps.
Bout this time the water rushed back in to fill the void and all we saw was
assholes, elbows, and fishing poles flying in all kinds of directions......
Few minutes later we were overtaken by this "gentleman" from the South who
had many choice words to say about our "Yankee" heritage.....worst part was
that his anger became all the more incensed by the fact that we were all
ready in a total fit of laughter and the more he yelled the worse our fit
became!!!
To this day, I'm not sure how we kept that boat in the channel till he
finally gave up the chase!

otnmbrd wrote:
[...]

It would have been really funny for you if someone in his boat had drowned.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
.70...
[...]

Good for you! Some of these recreational fishermen think they own the world.
I've had them actually block a navigable channel with their lines going from
one side to the other and they yelled at me to stop because they had lines
in the water. I slowed down, grinned and just kept motoring. Snagged a
couple of their lines and you shoulda heard the profanity.

I've even had kids fishing from a dock try to tell me to keep clear because
they had lines in the water. I had to tell them, "You better get them out
quick because I'm coming in."

Wilbur Hubbard

"HK" wrote in message
otnmbrd wrote:
[...]

Sorta raises a question though. What is the purpose of the ICW? Is it an
inland waterway for boat traffic or is it a private fishing channel for
locals?

Eisboch