Default Need Info on Yamaha 8hp Outboard When It is Fully Tilted Up - Follow Up

I have finally found the dimension of the Yamaha 8hp outboard when it
is fully titled up. It takes close to 11" from the edge of the
transom inward toward the bow. This means I must remove those two
boxy structures at the stern of my boat; otherwise, the outboard would
not have room to tilt up, or I would have to mount it higher than
where I want it to be.

I found the info in www.shipyardisland.com -- not through their home
page, but from a search engine (Yahoo).

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Jay Chan

On Oct 25, 10:52 pm, "
wrote:
I have finally found the dimension of the Yamaha 8hp outboard when it
is fully titled up. It takes close to 11" from the edge of the
transom inward toward the bow. This means I must remove those two
boxy structures at the stern of my boat; otherwise, the outboard would
not have room to tilt up, or I would have to mount it higher than
where I want it to be.

I found the info inwww.shipyardisland.com-- not through their home
page, but from a search engine (Yahoo).

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Jay Chan

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...&product=92827

On Oct 26, 10:11 am, wrote:
On Oct 25, 10:52 pm, "
wrote:

I have finally found the dimension of the Yamaha 8hp outboard when it
is fully titled up. It takes close to 11" from the edge of the
transom inward toward the bow. This means I must remove those two
boxy structures at the stern of my boat; otherwise, the outboard would
not have room to tilt up, or I would have to mount it higher than
where I want it to be.

I found the info inwww.shipyardisland.com--not through their home
page, but from a search engine (Yahoo).

Hope this info is useful to someone.

Jay Chan

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...=71388&product...

Thanks for the suggestion of a retractable outboard motor bracket.
But I have decided to get rid of the boxy structures from the stern of
the boat for an unrelated reason anyway (to add livewells and storage
space). And I also feel that mounting the kicker directly onto the
transom probably is a better idea anyway -- at least this is easier
and cheaper to make the kicker power-tilt.

Jay Chan

wrote:
On Oct 26, 10:11 am, wrote:
On Oct 25, 10:52 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

I found this in my sent folder from about a year ago. Sorry
if you didn't see it then.

---
If Jay is still reading...

Fully tilted up I measure about 12" clearance required
forward from the back surface of the T8 mounting clamp
(equivalent to the back of your mounting bracket).

On Fri, 26 Oct '07, -rick- wrote:
I found this in my sent folder from about a year ago. Sorry
if you didn't see it then.

If Jay is still reading...

Fully tilted up I measure about 12" clearance required
forward from the back surface of the T8 mounting clamp
(equivalent to the back of your mounting bracket).

Yep, he saw it and replied on 11/19/06.

Rick ---- another one

On Oct 26, 10:36 pm, -rick- wrote:
wrote:
On Oct 26, 10:11 am, wrote:
On Oct 25, 10:52 pm, "
wrote:

[...]

(equivalent to the back of your mounting bracket).- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for reminding me. Somehow, I forgot about this. Sorry about
this.

Jay Chan

"jaykchan wrote:
I have decided to get rid of the boxy structures from the stern of
the boat

I've been wondering about your "boxy structures". I can't quite
picture them. Are they additions, or were they part of the original
boat design? They're not water tight and foam filled are they?

Rick

On Oct 27, 8:37 am, wrote:
"jaykchan wrote:
I have decided to get rid of the boxy structures from the stern of
the boat

I've been wondering about your "boxy structures". I can't quite
picture them. Are they additions, or were they part of the original
boat design? They're not water tight and foam filled are they?

Rick

You can find these boxy structures in many small center consoles --
one in each side of the outboard. They are right on top of the
transom. I believe the optional seats are supposed to be placed on
top of these boxy structures. In other words, this boxy structure is
a way to mount the seat. The manufacturer also stores the optional
external oil reservior inside the boxy structure.

My boat doesn't come with those optional seats, and I don't intend to
put any seat at the stern of the boat. This just doesn't make any
sense putting seats there because I cannot imagine anyone would want
to sit just one feet away from a noisy 2-stroke outboard.

My outboard doesn't need any external oil reservior because it uses
internal oil reservior. And I cannot use that boxy structure to store
anything else either because that box doesn't have a "real" bottom --
small items will fall through to the bigle. And it is very low
profile -- meaning that I cannot stuff a lot of thing there.

In other words, those boxy structures are totally useless to me --
just taking up space. Moreover, they are taking up space at the
transom that I cannot mount a kicker directly on the transom. These
are two reasons why I want to remove them and replace them with live
wells and some storage room and that will be 12" away from the transom
(to leave enough clearance for the kicker).

Jay Chan

jaykchan wrote:
those boxy structures are totally useless

If they're not water tight and foam filled, their purpose may still be
to add strength to the hull and, in particular, the transom. I know
several boat models that have designed in stength with similar means.
Never having seen yours, I of couse have no clue. But you might find a
boat builder to take a look at them and get an opinion.
Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents. Be careful.

Rick

Need Info on Yamaha 8hp Outboard When It is Fully Tilted Up -rick- General 7 November 23rd 06 01:22 AM
Need Info on Yamaha 8hp Outboard When It is Fully Tilted Up [email protected] General 29 November 22nd 06 09:55 PM
Outboard Yamaha f15 Al General 2 May 8th 06 03:56 PM
Any info on Yamaha diesel o'boards? Eli Whitney General 3 November 24th 04 07:40 AM
Help with yamaha outboard zorinuk UK Power Boats 0 August 27th 03 10:31 AM