Default Need Info on Yamaha 8hp Outboard When It is Fully Tilted Up

If Jay is still reading...

Fully tilted up I measure about 12" clearance required
forward from the back surface of the T8 mounting clamp
(equivalent to the back of your mounting bracket).

-rick-

-rick- wrote:
If Jay is still reading...

Fully tilted up I measure about 12" clearance required
forward from the back surface of the T8 mounting clamp
(equivalent to the back of your mounting bracket).

-rick-

Thanks for following this up for me. I appreciate that.

12" clearance means that the motor bracket will have to be at least 12"
long. And 12" long motor bracket is almost three times longer than the
motor bracket that I see in this web site:
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...cket15AuxMotor

But a 12" long motor bracket "may" be OK based on a similar size motor
bracket from Garelick:
http://www.garelick.com/product.php?pnumber=71092
Honestly, I have a feeling that it will be sticking out too far and
will create too much stress on the transom.

Seem like a 12" motor bracket may or may not be OK. Having said that I
have a feeling that I may end up removing the structure that is on the
transom that is preventing me from mounting the kicker directly on the
transom. Then I can mount the kicker directly on the transom. This
should be a more solid installation anyway, and I don't need to spend
time and money fabricating the motor bracket.

Thanks. Now, I know what I need to do.

Jay Chan

wrote:
-rick- wrote:
[...]

Second thought. Removing that structure is just too much work. I
think I will extend the transom upward to cover the "structure" and to
form a mount a motor bracket over the transom and the extended area.
Then the motor bracket can be short and the kicker can clear the
"structure" when the kicker is fully tilted up. But I may need a long
shaft version of the kicker in order to pull this off. Sound like
there will be a lot of measuring and fitting to do.

Jay Chan

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
-rick- wrote:
[...]

If the head of the motor is above the transom when tilted you need about 3"
of clearance. Over there in ABPO I will post a shot or 2 of my T-8 bracket.

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
-rick- wrote:
[...]

I am wondering why we still need 3" of clearance if the motor is above
the transom. Are you referring to the clearance required for the wing
nuts of the motor clamp?

Please let me know when you post pictures of your T8 and its bracket.
I appreciate that.

Jay Chan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
-rick- wrote:
[...]

You need the 3" as there are parts sticking out from the handle area. The
swivel lock for the head, etc. They are posted.

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
-rick- wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the explanation.

I will try to get access to the pictures that you have posted in
alt.binaries...

Jay Chan

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
-rick- wrote:
[...]

I finally figured out how to subscribe to
alt.binaries.pictures.sport.ocean, and I saw the pictures of your T8
kicker and the motor bracket. Your boat is very nice and is color
matching with your truck.

Seem like using a motor bracket that is 12" long (similar to what you
have) is OK as long as the motor bracket is oversized and as long as
the boat transom is large enough for the oversized motor bracket.
Unfortunately, the transom in my boat is kind of small and low and
having an oversized motor bracket will look very odd and very sticking
out. Therefore, I have decided on extending the transom upward and the
T8 directly on top of the extended transom.

Thanks for the pictures. I appreciate that.

Jay Chan