Default Need Info on Yamaha 8hp Outboard When It is Fully Tilted Up

I would like to know some info about Yamaha 8hp High Thrust 4-stroke
outboard motor when it is fully tilted up.

I am planning to get that Yamaha motor as a kicker for trolling and
backup. Unfortunately, I cannot mount it directly on the transom of my
boat. The reason is that the transom only has one opening for the main
motor. The boat has a container in each side of the opening. I cannot
mount the motor over the container because the container is a flimsy
structure. I will have to somehow mount the motor at the back of the
transom.

I could have installed a manual-motor-lift (such as the one from
Garelick); but I am looking for the version of Yamaha 8hp outboard
that has a power-trim function. This means instead of having the
outboard lifting straight up and down, I will have it tilting up and
down.

Seem like the best way is to install a motor bracket behind the
transom, mount the 8hp motor on the motor bracket, and has the 8hp
motor kind of sticking out. The question is how far that I should have
it sticking up. If it is not sticking out far enough, the cowl of the
motor will hit the container that I mentioned above when the motor is
fully tilted up. If it is sticking out to far, I am afraid that it
will add too much stress on the transom. I want the motor bracket
sticking out just far enough not to hit the container when the motor is
fully tilted up.

My questions a
1. What is the distance between the far end of the cowl and
the motor mount when the motor is fully tilted up?
2. Any downside of doing this?
3. Any better idea?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Great motor. Mine is mounted maybe 12" back on a solid to the boat bracket.
You have to look at the shaft length you need. I have the extra long 25",
which allows me to mount the motor bracket higher off the water, and when
the motor is tilted the foot is out of the water. Your dealer should have
some required measurements.

This year I installed a Garelick lifter for my Yamaha 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke.
It is a
somewhat heavy (100 lb.) engine, and thus the necessity for an assisted lifter.
What
I did to support the engine was buy a big piece of stainless steel plating,
which I used
as a backing plate for the Garelick. This distributes the load across a larger
area of the transom.
As far as the mounting height, if you go to the Garelick web site or one of
their vendors, you will
find some mounting instructions. I also was worried about the engine hitting
the transom when
fully tilted up. I solved this by introducting some hardwood shims between the
bracket and the
transom to move the engine further astern. I have the long shaft engine, so I
got the Garelick
with the greatest lift height (about 11 inches, I believe). You then have to
position the bracket at
the height on the transom which will get the prop low enough in the water for
rough
following sea conditions, yet high enough to lift it clear of your transom. The
Garelick has 4 lockable
positions for setting the height of the engine for various sea conditions.

Hope this helps,

Sherwin D.

" wrote:

[...]

Larry, I'm not disputing your word, but are you sure there would be an
oil problem?

The reason I ask, is because I have a 4-cycle weed eater,a nd it
doesn'tmatter how you lay it, nor what angle you run it, there hasn't
had a problem with oil leaking or foaming out of where ever it can get
out.

Just curious....

Larry wrote:
" wrote in
oups.com:

2. Any downside of doing this?

Yes. It's a 4-stroke with OIL in it. You must be very careful the OIL in
it doesn't go where it's not supposed to go. You can only lay down a 4-
stroker certain ways, and even then I'd be deathly afraid the oil would be
splashing around in there where it's not supposed to go, laying down like
that, while you were underway with the other motor.

Too bad it's not a 2 stroker. It wouldn't matter, then, especially if you
took the stupid oil injection off it and premixed its gas the way a 2-
stroker is supposed to be run...dry.

I like the lift idea hooked to the stern....the kind they use on the stern
of outboard-powered sailboats that lifts the hole motor back then up to
lock into a totally dry position above the stern while underway. The motor
would be parked in its proper upright position where the OIL is not an
issue. You can even work on it if it's broke, that way.

Larry
--
My calendar must be wrong....
In all the stores, it's ALREADY Christmas!

sherwindu wrote in
:

This year I installed a Garelick lifter for my Yamaha 9.9 high thrust
4 stroke. It is a
somewhat heavy (100 lb.) engine, and thus the necessity for an
assisted lifter.

Geez, you'd think it was a diesel!

Love the "High Thrust". I'll bet it's as high as any 9.9hp
outboard...putting out 9.9hp like it does...or is supposed to....(c;

Those marketing guys invent some great stuff, don't they?

I have a Yam 3, 2 stroker. You can carry it with one hand, even if the
gas tank on top of it is full of premix 2-stroke gas! Funny thing is, I
can't find the cooling water ****er on it. A little water comes out the
pressure relief hole in the exhaust and it doesn't overheat so it must be
fine. I'd still like to see water ****ing out of it, but it never has.
Little thing planes a 9.6' Watertender dingy if I set in the middle seat
(255 #) and leave my 2 gallon jerry can in the bow.

One of the dock neighbors of Lionheart had the boat sitting in just awful
conditions, flooded with rainwater, its bottom covered with beasts
between his sailboat and the dock. I asked him if he'd like me to pump
it out, before it sank which I found out is impossible full of water,
with my rechargeable bilge pump. "You want it? It's yours. I'll bring
the title from Atlanta next time I come down", he says. Never in my life
have I ever turned down a free boat that was still afloat. Waste Marine
sells them for $500. Another yachtie friend wanted me to come put up a
motion sensor light over his garage doors. While I was on the ladder, I
told him of my good fortune getting the free boat. When I was about to
leave, he comes out with this hardly-used Yamaha 3 and says, "Here.
It'll need a motor. My back can't stand riding in a dingy and we only
used it twice. It's been taking up garage space ever since."

The most I got in it was the $35 to re-register it and renew the license.
My story of a "free boat" fell on deaf ears at the tax and license
offices....(c; The county wants $13/year. They think its a Hatteras.

My neighbors' kids think it's a Redneck Spa. They fill it with water
sitting on the lawn and have more fun in it than any adult could have....

Larry
--
My calendar must be wrong....
In all the stores, it's ALREADY Christmas!

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Are you going to go get some crabs, Bill?

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yes, you pretty much sold that motor to me in one of my prior message
thread. The Yamaha T8 motor is good not only because its gear ratio is
supposed to be good for a kicker, but also one of their T8 model has a
power trim option that is quite reasonably priced (I don't believe
other small outboard has this option).

Your boat must be much bigger than mine. Mine is a semi-V full 18-ft
boat. I am hoping that I will only need no more than 20" shaft.

I am asking this here because I want to know how long the motor bracket
needs to stick out. If it will be sticking out too far, I will have to
forget about this (and stick with a manually operated motor lift such
as one of those from Garelick) because I really don't want to put too
much stress on the transom. Therefore, this is pre-mature for me to
figure out the shaft length yet; I need to figure out the motor
mounting method first before figuring out the shaft length, and then I
can talk to the Yamaha dealer.

Thanks for the good info.

Jay Chan