Default Back to work

On Oct 19, 2:31 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
"D.Duck" wrote in message

Ahhhh, JDSU. Back in the 90's when I was a very active investor, JDSU is
one I "wish" I would have dabbled in. Made quite a bit of money leading

up
to the "bubble". Should have listened to Greenspan and his "irrational
exuberance" speech. Oh well, I did very well and never complain.

Now as I approach 70 it's much more conservative investments. I do have
quite a bit of Intel stock, but I feel that's reasonably safe. "When" is
gets over $30 I'll get out and buy a bunch of CDs. My have things changed
for me as I get older and more cautious.

You mean the Telecom bubble? That period was an amazing example of a
technology based feeding frenzy based on hype. Companies were scrambling to
acquire other companies that had anything at all to do with optical
multiplexing filters. It's why OCLI is no more. I remember Corning bought
a company called "CoreTec" for 1.4 billion. (that's with a "B"). CoreTec
had been financed with a relatively small amount of venture capital money
and had never produced or shipped a finished product. I met with the
founder and president of CoreTec about a month before Corning's acquisition
of them. We were discussing a possible joint venture between my company and
them. He wanted to continue discussions but was up front and told me of a
possible major event for them in the near future and had to hold off until
after that decision.

Corning ended up having to write the whole $ 1.4B off and it did a number on
their stock. I had a feeling they would recover, so I bought in while they
were low. Turns out it was a good move. I also hold a bit of JDSU.

Eisboch

Seems as though Corning has always been an up and down kind of
business.

On Oct 19, 12:31 am, "BillP" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 18, 2:06 pm, "BillP" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Oct 18, 10:50 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

On Oct 18, 8:24 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

"Eisboch" wrote in message
m...
I've been called in to help out today at.... (gulp) ....
*work*.
A long-time customer is visiting and I have to provide
some
sense of
corporate continuity.

Gotta get this over with so Sam and I can go back to the
boat.

Eisboch

So how did it go?

Not bad. He awarded the company a $800+K contract for a new
thin
film
system.

Eisboch (still got the "touch")

Wow! Hope you get a good chunk of that Went back to work
myself
this week, gonna' work on a local farm for the winter to get
loosened
up a little and trade off a little horsie time for my girls.
Don't
think I will be making as much as you did though Of course
our
work could be somewhat similar, I was off shoveling ****, how
about
you?

Nah, I don't get any "chunk". I have a long term "consulting"
deal
that
pays just about minimum wage, but keeps Mrs.E. and I eligible to
participate
in the company's health care program.

When I was a kid living outside of New Haven, CT., I had a summer
job
mucking horse stalls for a guy that raised and trained thoughbred
racing
horses. Not for me. In addition to the .... well .... you know,
was
also allergic to the hay dust. I swore I'd never do it again and
haven't,
despite Mrs.E.'s three horses.

If you want to get bored to tears, here's what I ended up doing
for a
living:

http://www.vptec.com/

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

Not boring to me! Did you do much business with Corning Glass?

Yes, quite a bit. And still do.

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

Cool, had a cousin that worked in the lab at headquarters in Corning NY

Sweeping the floors?- Hide quoted text -

No, Stalker Dan.

My name is not Dan, it's Irvin...........Walter Irvin.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, sure, Stalker Dan.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Seems as though Corning has always been an up and down kind of
business.

After the telecom fiasco, Corning downsized, got rid of some weak product
lines and focused back on their core business. The stock has slowly
recovered from a low of about 2 bucks a share up to the mid to high 20's.

Many years ago Corning developed the ceramic "rice" used in catalytic
converters for gas powered cars. I was involved in the design, building,
test and installation of several sputter deposition systems that coated the
"rice" with the catalytic material.

In addition to LCD glass (their primary business) and fiberoptics, Corning
is the primary supplier of the catalytic material now required in the newer
diesel powered trucks. I think I recall reading that by 2012 it will also
be required in diesel powered boat applications. (Boating content :-) )

Eisboch

Senior Member

On Oct 19, 9:38 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Wow, that's a lot of heat to disperse from the boat, assuming the
converter will be inside the hull, which would probably be the case....

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 19, 9:38 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

-) )

Eisboch

Wow, that's a lot of heat to disperse from the boat, assuming the
converter will be inside the hull, which would probably be the case....

Maybe they'll have vertical stacks, ala semi tractors, with cut outs.

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 19, 9:38 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Good point, although there's already quite a bit of heat generated by a pair
of big diesels running anyway. The heat generated by the converters will
obviously have to be carried away through a water cooled jacket or
something.

Have you read about the new diesel powered pickups? They go through a
exhaust particulate filter regeneration process every once in a while. When
they first came out, some Ford pickups were exhausting flames that started a
couple of grass fires.

Eisboch

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:33:40 -0400, D.Duck wrote:

That was an interesting period. So many supposedly intelligent people
in high places made some very not so intelligent business decisions.

Seems to happen quite often. In the heady times of a boom, people forget bust is part of the
cycle. The sub-prime situation is just another example.

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:33:40 -0400, D.Duck wrote:

That was an interesting period. So many supposedly intelligent people
in high places made some very not so intelligent business decisions.

Seems to happen quite often. In the heady times of a boom, people forget

bust is part of the
cycle. The sub-prime situation is just another example.

I have a theory about that, but I don't want Harry to get the idea that we
think too much alike.

Eisboch

HK HK is offline

John H. wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:20:55 -0400, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:33:40 -0400, D.Duck wrote:

That was an interesting period. So many supposedly intelligent people
in high places made some very not so intelligent business decisions.
Seems to happen quite often. In the heady times of a boom, people forget

bust is part of the
cycle. The sub-prime situation is just another example.

I have a theory about that, but I don't want Harry to get the idea that we
think too much alike.

Eisboch

I know, the millions of new jobs are all crap jobs!

Most of them are. Benefitless, low pay, serf-jobs.

On Oct 19, 9:50 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 19, 9:38 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Read an interesting article not long ago about trying to reclaim the
heat energy. A good amount of the potential energy of gasoline or
diesel fuel is wasted as heat.