Senior Member

Default Back to work

On Oct 19, 9:50 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 19, 9:38 am, "Eisboch" wrote:
wrote in message

roups.com...

Seems as though Corning has always been an up and down kind of
business.

After the telecom fiasco, Corning downsized, got rid of some weak

product
lines and focused back on their core business. The stock has slowly
recovered from a low of about 2 bucks a share up to the mid to high

20's.

Many years ago Corning developed the ceramic "rice" used in catalytic
converters for gas powered cars. I was involved in the design,

building,
test and installation of several sputter deposition systems that coated

the
"rice" with the catalytic material.

In addition to LCD glass (their primary business) and fiberoptics,

Corning
is the primary supplier of the catalytic material now required in the

newer
diesel powered trucks. I think I recall reading that by 2012 it will

also
be required in diesel powered boat applications. (Boating content

-) )

Eisboch

Wow, that's a lot of heat to disperse from the boat, assuming the
converter will be inside the hull, which would probably be the case....

Good point, although there's already quite a bit of heat generated by a pair
of big diesels running anyway. The heat generated by the converters will
obviously have to be carried away through a water cooled jacket or
something.

Man, that's gonna' be a lot of engineering, really a whole new system
will probably be developed. I don't think you would want to run tubing
from the engine cooling system through the hull to the cat, or add to
the existing load on it. Now you are talking space and resources for a
new cooling system and cat, remembering that a breakdown in a cat
cooling system could be disasterous if unnoticed.. It is going to be
huge, hull design and fit may have to be completely rethunk. Oh well,
think outboard... Sorry to ramble, just thinking out loud...

Have you read about the new diesel powered pickups? They go through a
exhaust particulate filter regeneration process every once in a while. When
they first came out, some Ford pickups were exhausting flames that started a
couple of grass fires.

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

I don't see the big problem. First of all, you aren't "cooling" the
converter (or particulate filter (as it is called in the diesel). All you
are doing is carrying away the excess heat generated by the exhaust gases
and reaction process. A secondary raw water pump or even a dual output raw
water pump (main to engine heat exchanger, secondary to cat water jacket)
with both exhausting through the current, water cooled exhaust would do it I
think.

Eisboch

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:02:19 -0300, "Don White" wrote:

You found "a lot of other guys" cute? Explains a lot!

Strange how that kind of thought is the first thing that pops into
your mind, Don.

Or maybe not so strange...

Whatever floats your boat.

Well it's certainly not your frequent dates... the Palm Sisters. You'd think
they'd have worn out their welcome by now.

wrote in message

roups.com...

Seems as though Corning has always been an up and down kind of
business.

After the telecom fiasco, Corning downsized, got rid of some weak

product
lines and focused back on their core business. The stock has slowly
recovered from a low of about 2 bucks a share up to the mid to high

20's.

Many years ago Corning developed the ceramic "rice" used in catalytic
converters for gas powered cars. I was involved in the design,

building,
test and installation of several sputter deposition systems that coated

the
"rice" with the catalytic material.

Corning works closely with Alfred University's (SUNY) College of
Ceramics. I remember hearing about the College of Ceramics as a kid,
and thinking, what to hell could somebody learn about ceramics that
would take four years??!!

Sorta like being a ball bearing engineer.

Seriously, ceramic materials are not all alike and there are some
unbelievable high-tech applications, now and being developed for the future.

Eisboch- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, I understand that now, but as a kid, all I could think of is
kiln dried cups!

Dan Dan is offline

HK wrote:
John H. wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:20:55 -0400, "Eisboch"

wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
news On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:33:40 -0400, D.Duck wrote:

That was an interesting period. So many supposedly intelligent people
in high places made some very not so intelligent business decisions.
Seems to happen quite often. In the heady times of a boom, people
forget
bust is part of the
cycle. The sub-prime situation is just another example.

I have a theory about that, but I don't want Harry to get the idea
that we
think too much alike.

Eisboch

I know, the millions of new jobs are all crap jobs!

Most of them are. Benefitless, low pay, serf-jobs.

And those who chose to skip a proper education should be thrilled to
have an income.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:24:37 -0400, HK wrote:

Summer jobs. Speaking of things built, about 35 years ago, I was in NYC
with a DC client, attending a meeting. The guy was president of an
international union. We had some time to kill, and he insisted on taking
me to the Empire State Building. Big secret. We got to one of the middle
floors, went to a utility closet, he opened it, and there, chiseled into
a bit of construction stone, was his first initial and last name, and
the date. Yep, *he* worked on building the Empire State Building.

Any time your labor goes into something that people use, touch, or
live in you gain something immeasurable.
When I worked in the steel mills and at IH heat treating and forming
metal into shapes I felt something good every time I saw a girder or a
dozer working the earth. Of course if I had been building Cat dozers
instead of IH I would have felt even gooder (-:
As a packaging machine mechanic and operator the feeling was similar,
as I often saw my products for sale in stores.
Sure, they were consumable products, but they flowed through the
veins of those who consumed them, and became part of them.
And *I* played a part in producing them!
Then I spent 25 years in computer systems, writing programs,
supporting and managing application systems. No matter how good I
was, I never had that feeling of accomplishment as when I labored with
steel.
I made much more money, but produced nothing that lasted long.
There might be dozer track shoes, links, tunnels, bushings and other
parts still out there working , produced by me 40 years ago.
Even the packaging products formed cells in people still living.
But practically everything I later wrote and designed in 25 years of
computer software is gone. Erased from the planet. Some of it by me.
What may be left from my last years' work will surely be gone soon.
Fewer and fewer Americans understand the values production labor
imparts to a society. The Chinese do most of our production now.
But that's another topic.

Can you imagine the lifelong sense of accomplishment...seeing that
building, knowing you worked on it...wow!

I can imagine that. On a much lesser level I rebuilt the two story
porch on my old brick 2-flat by my lonesome. Holding up the heavy
roof with 50 foot ladders I replaced the rotted 6x6's, joists,
landings, railings, staircases, outlooks, etc. dug, formed and poured
new footings.
Did have my brother help with me once with hoisting the heavily tarred
steel gutter and a long 6x6.
Anyway, it was a pretty sight when I was done, and since I cured the
cause of what rotted it, it would have lasted longer than the 60 years
of the original. Tickled my heart every time I looked at it.
But an arsonist lit it up a couple years later, so I can't go see it.
I talked about this subject to a computer field mate some years ago
and he understood it well. His grand dad was a bricklayer, and he
knew every building where grand dad had laid the brick in his Ohio
hometown.
His grand dad had been dead for many years, but whenever he went
home to visit he saw grand dad on every street in town.
In the bricks of the homes he had built.
I can't go on the Chicago Skyway without thinking about my dad driving
the Corbett Construction trucks that brought in the materials 50 years
ago, or likewise pass the UIC campus buildings where his crews
hammered in the foundation sheets.
The guys who put up the Twin Towers must have got a warm feeling every
time they looked at the NYC skyline.
Besides all the other tragedies, the towers coming down broke their
hearts.

--Vic
HK HK is offline

John H. wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:58:39 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:02:19 -0300, "Don White" wrote:

You found "a lot of other guys" cute? Explains a lot!

Strange how that kind of thought is the first thing that pops into
your mind, Don.

Or maybe not so strange...

Whatever floats your boat.

Well it's certainly not your frequent dates... the Palm Sisters. You'd think
they'd have worn out their welcome by now.

But, he *did* make a good point, didn't he? You and JimH must have that
'homosexuality' stuff just weighing on your mind!

Crikey...Herring survived a week aboard a cruise ship packed with rug
rats. He's the man. :} Me, I would have tossed half of them overboard.

"John H." wrote in message

But, he *did* make a good point, didn't he? You and JimH must have that
'homosexuality' stuff just weighing on your mind!

Just back from a vacation with the grandkids and this is what you want to
get involved in??
I worry about you Johnny.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Crikey...Herring survived a week aboard a cruise ship packed with rug
rats. He's the man. :} Me, I would have tossed half of them overboard.

I felt sorry for the 'rug rats'!