Default Back to work

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Geeze....I had much fancier summer jobs than you did...cleaning out
boilers, loading trucks and freight cars, drinking beer.

I had the normal, teenaged type jobs.

Worked for a retired doctor and helped him build his own, private 9 hole
golf course.

Gas station pump jockey and general gofor.

Bus boy at Les Shaw's in New Haven.

Caddy at that private golf course on Pulaski highway, just north of New
Haven,

later, back in MA and while attending college:

Humping furniture for Bekin's Moving and Storage.

Final finish detailer at Boston Whaler (back when they were in Rockland,
MA)

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

"Eisboch" wrote in message
m...
I've been called in to help out today at.... (gulp) .... *work*.
A long-time customer is visiting and I have to provide some sense
of
corporate continuity.

Gotta get this over with so Sam and I can go back to the boat.

Eisboch

So how did it go?

Not bad. He awarded the company a $800+K contract for a new thin film
system.

Eisboch (still got the "touch")

Wow! Hope you get a good chunk of that Went back to work myself
this week, gonna' work on a local farm for the winter to get loosened
up a little and trade off a little horsie time for my girls. Don't
think I will be making as much as you did though Of course our
work could be somewhat similar, I was off shoveling ****, how about
you?

Nah, I don't get any "chunk". I have a long term "consulting" deal that
pays just about minimum wage, but keeps Mrs.E. and I eligible to
participate
in the company's health care program.

When I was a kid living outside of New Haven, CT., I had a summer job
mucking horse stalls for a guy that raised and trained thoughbred racing
horses. Not for me. In addition to the .... well .... you know, I was
also allergic to the hay dust. I swore I'd never do it again and I
haven't,
despite Mrs.E.'s three horses.

If you want to get bored to tears, here's what I ended up doing for a
living:

http://www.vptec.com/

Eisboch

Not boring at all. Brings back memories of my work at Bell Labs, about 20
years ago, as a CRT monitor design engineer. I worked with a West Coast
company, OCLI, on a custom CRT panel with an AR coating.

The process was great for no reduction in display resolution and
anti-reflective properties. The disadvantage, cost. The panel added about
20 bux to an already too expensive, custom size CRT.

The zero loss is resolution was just not appropriate for a plain jane
alpha-numeric display. Now for something like medical monitors it was
justified.

I finally convinced marketing that a much less costly acid etch process
applied directly to the CRT glass was appropriate.

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Geeze....I had much fancier summer jobs than you did...cleaning out
boilers, loading trucks and freight cars, drinking beer.

I had the normal, teenaged type jobs.

Worked for a retired doctor and helped him build his own, private 9 hole
golf course.

Gas station pump jockey and general gofor.

Bus boy at Les Shaw's in New Haven.

Caddy at that private golf course on Pulaski highway, just north of New
Haven,

later, back in MA and while attending college:

Humping furniture for Bekin's Moving and Storage.

Final finish detailer at Boston Whaler (back when they were in Rockland,
MA)

Eisboch

Damn...you worked at Les Shaw's!
I seem to remember it was located on Whalley Avenue, near the Pond Lily
manufacturing plant. What I mostly remember about that particular area
was the Feast of the Assumption the Italian Catholic churches held each
year at the foot of the Merritt Parkway where it crossed Whalley.

Just a little way from there, as you went towards West Rock and the
tunnel, a longtime friend of my father's owned a truck farm, of all things.

Hey...I remember two farms in your neck of New Haven...Zeider's Egg Farm
and a turkey farm whose name I can't remember. I do remember Zeider's,
because I dated the farmer's daughter, Gail Zeider, for a while. She
went to Amity Regional... Hmmm. I dated a lot of girls from Amity. Nice
girls.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:57:07 -0400, "D.Duck" wrote:

I finally convinced marketing that a much less costly acid etch process
applied directly to the CRT glass was appropriate.

Ah - so your the dumbass that came up with that.

You are on my list. :)

(It's a long story - just accept the fact that I was ordered to follow
the same process for...well, let's just leave it at that.)

~~mutter~~

"D.Duck" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

We built sputter deposition equipment for Tectonics, applying a conductive
coating to the inside of ceramic CRT tubes. That technology was obsolete
before it went to production, and a spin-off was started doing
electroluminescent displays. We built equipment for them as well, and the
company became what is now known as "PanelVision", a major supplier of flat
panel screens.

OCLI ? Very technically capable in their day, but a terrible company for
an equipment manufacturer like us to deal with. They had quite a reputation
of routinely sending out requests for technical proposals for systems they
said they were going to buy.
They would then review all the technical approaches taken by the various
responders to meet OCLI's requirements, select the best of them, and then
build the equipment themselves, using the technical specifications supplied
by those of us that responded.

In all the years that we dealt with them, they never bought a system from
anybody.

We have had more recent contracts with JDS Uniphase, the successor to OCLI.

Eisboch

"HK" wrote in message
. ..

Damn...you worked at Les Shaw's!
I seem to remember it was located on Whalley Avenue, near the Pond Lily
manufacturing plant. What I mostly remember about that particular area
was the Feast of the Assumption the Italian Catholic churches held each
year at the foot of the Merritt Parkway where it crossed Whalley.

Just a little way from there, as you went towards West Rock and the
tunnel, a longtime friend of my father's owned a truck farm, of all

things.

Hey...I remember two farms in your neck of New Haven...Zeider's Egg Farm
and a turkey farm whose name I can't remember. I do remember Zeider's,
because I dated the farmer's daughter, Gail Zeider, for a while. She
went to Amity Regional... Hmmm. I dated a lot of girls from Amity. Nice
girls.

My memory is hazy, but I think Les Shaw's was just south of the beginning of
the West Rock tunnel. Yup. I walked around with a big, stupid chef's hat,
carrying a basket of "Popovers".

I also remember Zeiders, but Gail was *way* too old for me. :-)

Eisboch

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Ah..summer jobs..
I picked worms out of codfish and haddock in a local fishplant, iced the
fish as it came off the trawlers, worked in a major hotel setting up banquet
rooms, and my favourite...working park maintenance at our premier city park.
If you came here today, I could show you the slate rock wall I helped build
in 1970..or was it 1971.
http://www.pointpleasantpark.ca/inside.asp?cmPageID=91

HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yikes. I thought we were the same age. Did you know any of the Aronson
boys? Peter was a sometime friend of mine, two years younger, though,
and he was graduated from Amity. Might have been your classmate. How
about Susie Somers, the long-haired brunette? She was in a lot of school
plays. Again, she might have been a contemporary of yours. I dated her
older sister, Margie.

Did you ever visit the Nature Center up on West Rock?
HK HK is offline

Don White wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Eisboch wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
"Eisboch" wrote in message
[...]

Summer jobs. Speaking of things built, about 35 years ago, I was in NYC
with a DC client, attending a meeting. The guy was president of an
international union. We had some time to kill, and he insisted on taking
me to the Empire State Building. Big secret. We got to one of the middle
floors, went to a utility closet, he opened it, and there, chiseled into
a bit of construction stone, was his first initial and last name, and
the date. Yep, *he* worked on building the Empire State Building.

Can you imagine the lifelong sense of accomplishment...seeing that
building, knowing you worked on it...wow!