Default No more bottom painting option... Anyone tried this yet.

I was just reading my Digital Graphics trade magazine and I noticed an add
in the back for "Boat Wrap Vinyl" from Avery graphics.

I got to thinking about what would happen if you wrapped the bottom of your
boat in Vinyl every two years instead of copper based paint. Could the
vinyl be made in such a way that the crustations would leave it alone?
Would it survive the harsh sal****er environment? Could it be cleaned by a
diver?

Has anyone tried this or have any experience? Thanks. Just thinking
outside of the box.

Bill

www.billharder.com

On Oct 3, 11:30?am, "Verizon News" wrote:
I was just reading my Digital Graphics trade magazine and I noticed an add
in the back for "Boat Wrap Vinyl" from Avery graphics.

I got to thinking about what would happen if you wrapped the bottom of your
boat in Vinyl every two years instead of copper based paint. Could the
vinyl be made in such a way that the crustations would leave it alone?

Nope. The crustaceans would just hang on and enjoy the ride.
You would need to use poison in the vinyl, (just like copper/arsenic
in bottom paint), to cause the critters to die and fall off.

Would it survive the harsh sal****er environment?

It would be susceptible to tears from soft groundings, floating drift,
etc.

?Could it be cleaned by a
diver?

Yes, as no toxic chemicals would be released in the process. However,
the question remains whether the material would stand up to the
required scrubbing to remove hair and animals. It would be easy to do
a complete bottom clean each year, though- just throw away the old
layer of vinyl.

On Oct 3, 12:23 pm, Chuck Gould wrote:
[...]

Chuck,
If a layer of plastic was inexpensive enough and easy enough for
someone to do themselves, could they possibly just remove the covering
and replace every 6 months or so to eliminate the need for scrubbing
altogether? I know it depends on where you keep your boat but if you
are scrubbing say once every 3 months now, and the plastic costs say
$200 would that be potentially a benefit. $200 * 8 = $1,600. What
does a bottom paint job cost with haul out? then of course there is
the diver fee or equipment to do it yourself and the health problems/
environmental problems involved in scrubbing the copper paint chips
off. If there could be a plastic wrap for a boat that was relatively
easy for a boater to install themselves and was recyclable, what would
the problems be?

This is all theory of course but if it could be done how would it
work? Maybe a new invention idea out there that could benefit those
on the water.

Bill

On Oct 3, 12:36?pm, Bill wrote:
[...]

Bill- Hide quoted text -

There might be some merit to the idea of a flexible, adhesive, plastic
coating that could simply be stripped off and discarded every six
months or so.

A local boatyard is currently advertising a bottom paint special that
runs $21/ foot for boats under 50 feet. That includes haulout,
blocking, cleaning, one rolled coat of name brand bottom paint and
relaunch.

So a 25-foot boat would be looking at $500 for a normal bottom paint
job.

To figure out whether the adhesive plastic makes any sense
financially, the approach might be to compare the cost of the plastic
to the material cost of bottom paint. (Which ain't cheap). The
haulout, etc would still be required for boats that are normally
moored in the water.

The end of bottom painting? beaufortnc Cruising 3 January 28th 07 09:43 PM
Soda Blasting/Bottom Painting Andy Saunders Cruising 2 February 26th 06 10:29 PM
Bottom Painting Bill General 3 June 12th 05 03:28 PM
prepping bottom for spring painting sel1 General 6 October 17th 04 01:08 AM
Bottom painting Parallax Cruising 23 November 23rd 03 01:31 AM