Default Boat Trailer Towing Speed Discussion

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:20:46 -0400, HK wrote:

My assumption was that most responsible boaters tow their boats at no
more than 60-65 mph (assuming that is allowed by the speed limit)

Your assumption is wrong, and responsibility has nothing to do with
it.

If you have an appropriate trailer and tow vehicle, and they are set
up properly, you should be able to safely tow at the legal limit. The
legal limit in many states is 70 to 75 mph. I'd agree that road
conditions and traffic sometimes dictate a slower safe speed but there
is no reason whatsoever to arbitrarily declare that no one should tow
faster than 65 mph. On many highways that I frequent, 65 mph would
create a traffic backup and lead to unsafe driving on the part of
others.

I'd be the first to agree that no one should tow at a faster speed
than they are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable towing at
the speed limit however, you should stay off of the interstates.

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:48:39 -0400, Wayne.B penned the following well
considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

[...]

You may be limited more by your equipment than any road signage.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats
-----------------
-----------------
HK HK is offline

Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

Indeed, especially for Wayne.

Of the nearly 90 responses I got in a real boating forum on the trailer
speed question, about two thirds said they towed no faster than 65 mph,
even if the posted limit were higher. Reasons for not going faster
included consideration for others, increased braking distance at higher
speeds, harder to take evasive measures at higher speeds, more wear on
tires and bearings, higher fuel burn, et cetera.

To each his own. There are ways to slow down trailerboaters who are
towing too fast for conditions.

HK wrote:

To each his own. There are ways to slow down trailerboaters who are
towing too fast for conditions.

YOu do seem to enjoy making threats.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:04:13 -0400, HK wrote:

There are ways to slow down trailerboaters who are
towing too fast for conditions.

No one should tow too fast for conditions.

"HK" wrote in message
. ..
Gene Kearns wrote:
[...]

Nobody said they tow to fast for conditions. You state that 60-65 is the
max safe towing speed. Maybe for you. Under weight / sized towing vehicle,
etc.

Calif Bill wrote:

To each his own. There are ways to slow down trailerboaters who are towing
too fast for conditions.

Nobody said they tow to fast for conditions. You state that 60-65 is the
max safe towing speed. Maybe for you. Under weight / sized towing vehicle,
etc.

I am curious how Harry would recommend we slow down trailerboaters who
Harry thinks are towing to fast for conditions.

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 06:08:52 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

Calif Bill wrote:

To each his own. There are ways to slow down trailerboaters who are towing
too fast for conditions.

Nobody said they tow to fast for conditions. You state that 60-65 is the
max safe towing speed. Maybe for you. Under weight / sized towing vehicle,
etc.

I am curious how Harry would recommend we slow down trailerboaters who
Harry thinks are towing to fast for conditions.

That's why he has a low transom.

Laminar air flow off the stern.
Senior Member

On Sep 19, 5:48 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

Wow, you are wrong on soooo many levels here. I tow below the speed
limit. Let people pass me as long as I am not to slow. By slow I mean
based on the posted speed limit, not on the speed of the traffic. If
you can't maneuver your vehicle around a boat doing the speed limit,
you should not be on the interstate

HK HK is offline

wrote:
On Sep 19, 5:48 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
[...]

That's spot-on. If the speed limit is 55, I do 55. If the speed limit is
65, I usually run at 58-62, depending upon conditions. If the speed
limit is 70, I still run at 58-62. Easier on my vehicle, trailer, tires,
brakes, me, and if I have to stop or swerve, I'm more likely to be able
to handle that at a lower speed.