Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Boat Trailer Towing Speed Discussion

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:20:46 -0400, HK wrote:

My assumption was that most responsible boaters tow their boats at no
more than 60-65 mph (assuming that is allowed by the speed limit)

Your assumption is wrong, and responsibility has nothing to do with
it.

If you have an appropriate trailer and tow vehicle, and they are set
up properly, you should be able to safely tow at the legal limit. The
legal limit in many states is 70 to 75 mph. I'd agree that road
conditions and traffic sometimes dictate a slower safe speed but there
is no reason whatsoever to arbitrarily declare that no one should tow
faster than 65 mph. On many highways that I frequent, 65 mph would
create a traffic backup and lead to unsafe driving on the part of
others.

I'd be the first to agree that no one should tow at a faster speed
than they are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable towing at
the speed limit however, you should stay off of the interstates.