Don White

Default Effect of trailer towing on transmission

This May I plan to drive to Quebec/Ontario to find a particular model of
sailboat and tow it back home.
Trouble is...the boat + outboard + trailer will weigh about 1800 lbs. which
is 90% of what my '95 Plymouth Voyager mini-van is rated to tow. Adding to
the problem...Chrysler vehicles are known for weak transmissions.
Luckily I have the 3 speed automatic which was more reliable than the 4
speed in this model year.
To get ready for the trip, I plan to have the transmission serviced & change
fluid/clean filter plus add a cooler.
Hopefully this will keep me moving on the 1200 mile drive home.

Questions...am I pushing the envelope? I'd hate to breakdown in the middle
of nowhere at the mercy of a local 'mechanic'
waiting for a $1500.00 repair job while cooling my heels in a flea bitten
motel.
What about next winter when I'm not towing?
In your engine cooling system, you have a thermostat to hold the coolant in
the block until the temperature gets up to 195 F.
I assume the transmission fluid would never get warm as it is probably
always circulating.......when engine is on.
Would this promote premature wear?

Harry Krause

Don White wrote:

[...]

Don:

A couple of suggestions. First, when you load up the boat for towing,
see what you can do to lower wind resistance on the boat. Anything you
can pack into the van will help. Second, make sure your trailer tires
are properly inflated. Mine take 60 pounds, but yours probably will be
less. Third, make sure the bearings on the trailer axles are properly
lubed and the wheels are spinning freely when you raise each off the
ground to check. Fourth, every couple hundred miles, when you stop for
gas, feel the exterior of the bearings. If they are too hot to touch,
you have a problem. Fifth, bring a grease gun with you. Sixth, bring an
extra trailer bearing with you. Seventh, don't drive above 55-60 mph.
Eighth, make sure your tow vehicle's tires are properly inflated. Ninth,
change your tow vehicle's oil and air filter before your trip. Tenth,
bring along some spray to kill the fleas.

--
Email sent to is never read.
Short Wave Sportfishing

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:45:08 GMT, "Don White"
wrote:

This May I plan to drive to Quebec/Ontario to find a particular model of
sailboat and tow it back home.
Trouble is...the boat + outboard + trailer will weigh about 1800 lbs. which
is 90% of what my '95 Plymouth Voyager mini-van is rated to tow. Adding to
the problem...Chrysler vehicles are known for weak transmissions.
Luckily I have the 3 speed automatic which was more reliable than the 4
speed in this model year.
To get ready for the trip, I plan to have the transmission serviced & change
fluid/clean filter plus add a cooler.
Hopefully this will keep me moving on the 1200 mile drive home.

Questions...am I pushing the envelope?

Yes.

You didn't mention if you have a trailer towing package on the Voyager
which would include a oil/transmission cooler and what kind of hitch
you are using. If it's one of those light weight U-Haul jobs, you
might have a problem. If you don't have a towing package on the
Voyager, then it's a bigger problem. The towing figures mentioned as
"Max" are optimistic at best. Considering that you are running a '95,
you are at max if not over.

If you can't use any other tow vehicle or any other method of getting
the boat back, then maintainence at the minimum is necessary. Harry's
advice about the extra stuff like bearings, tire inflation, etc is all
good.

If you keep your speed down and travel smart, it will probably do the
job. But I would seriously consider trading the car afterward. :)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
----------
The years will bring their Anodyne,
But I shall never quite forget,
The fish that I had counted mine
And lost before they reached the net.

Colin Ellis, "The Devot Angler" quoted
in A. R. Macdougall, Jr's "The Trout
Fisherman's Bedside Book" (1963)
jchaplain

Harrys suggestions are all good, not sure about #10 though where that
came from.

My biggest concern would be how the rig handles at highway speed. If
it doesn't sway a lot then just take it easy and you should be ok.
A rig that wants to go out of control while towing is the worst thing
for you to worry about.
If you just plan on accelerating slow and not pushing hard uphills
the transmission will be fine. I tow a 24 foot boat with my F150, and
I really could use a bigger engine, but I've towed it many, many miles
and had no problem at all engine or transmission. I think it's because
I never push it hard.

John C.
Frank Taylor, Jr.

Don,

I think you have the right idea in getting the transmission serviced and an
oil cooler installed. I have a 24 foot cruiser that I tow with a 2000
Durango. The towed weight is about 95 percent of the trucks tow rating
(5900 lbs). After many trips between Atlanta and various parts of Florida,
I have had no transmission problems at all and the engine is still strong
after 115,000 miles. The key is that I take good care of it. I change th
oil, get the transmission serviced regularly and it has a transmission
cooler as well. I never go above 60 mph when towing and I drive it like a
baby. For that it has served me well.

Good luck with your new toy.

Frank

"Don White" wrote in message
news
[...]

JR North

Does the trailer have brakes? Your vehicle has cheazy little
brakes, and without trailer brakes you may get into trouble.
The tow vehicle has alot of surface area, as does your load,
and poor power to drag ratio for the combination. Combine
that with low mass and rear traction of the tow vehicle and
some high side winds, and some serious sway instability can
be expected, which you may not be able to drive out of.
Better to ditch the mini van, which really isn't intended to
tow *anything* and will probably blow up anyway, and rent a
heavy pickup for the trip.
My .02
JR

Don White wrote:

[...]

Remove X to reply

MIDEMETZ

Rent a U Hall. A big one might hold your van inside. Don't tell them you are
thinking of putting it inside.

you might consider upping the viscosity ov the oil for the trip. Also give it
a warm up and cool down before and after.

Mike

**************

[...]

Christopher Robin

Questions...am I pushing the envelope? I'd hate to breakdown in the middle
of nowhere at the mercy of a local 'mechanic'
waiting for a $1500.00 repair job while cooling my heels in a flea bitten
motel.

The green weenie enviromentalists have forced the auto makers to
lighten up all that they can. This includes lighter, smaller
radiators and transmissions.

The heat generated in your transmission is lost thru the radiator.
When your transmission fluid gets a little too hot then destruction
begins. By all means you should go to a U-Haul type of transmission
cooler upgrade.

"Pay me now or pay me later".
Christopher Robin

[...]

Very good, Hairball, excellent advice and you're being polite for a
change!

Radical Moslems hate Jews worse than anyone and they have that big fat
Jewish
ass of yours in their cross hairs. You protection lies in the arms of
Dubya
and the US Army. Now repeat this three times: "Thank God for Dubya
and the US Army".

Boat fell off trailer bb General 31 January 27th 04 09:22 PM
Trailer Reminder JDavis1277 General 0 January 1st 04 02:26 PM
Trailer Brakes: Electric vs Hydraulic-Surge Gary Warner General 25 October 2nd 03 02:22 AM
Correct Trailer set up for towing my speedboat. Chester General 3 July 28th 03 12:55 PM