Default Boat Trailer Towing Speed Discussion

"HK" wrote in message
On Sep 19, 5:48 pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:20:46 -0400, HK wrote:
My assumption was that most responsible boaters tow their boats at no
more than 60-65 mph (assuming that is allowed by the speed limit)
Your assumption is wrong, and responsibility has nothing to do with
it.

If you have an appropriate trailer and tow vehicle, and they are set
up properly, you should be able to safely tow at the legal limit. The
legal limit in many states is 70 to 75 mph. I'd agree that road
conditions and traffic sometimes dictate a slower safe speed but there
is no reason whatsoever to arbitrarily declare that no one should tow
faster than 65 mph. On many highways that I frequent, 65 mph would
create a traffic backup and lead to unsafe driving on the part of
others.

I'd be the first to agree that no one should tow at a faster speed
than they are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable towing at
the speed limit however, you should stay off of the interstates.

Wow, you are wrong on soooo many levels here. I tow below the speed
limit. Let people pass me as long as I am not to slow. By slow I mean
based on the posted speed limit, not on the speed of the traffic. If
you can't maneuver your vehicle around a boat doing the speed limit,
you should not be on the interstate

That's spot-on. If the speed limit is 55, I do 55. If the speed limit is
65, I usually run at 58-62, depending upon conditions. If the speed limit
is 70, I still run at 58-62. Easier on my vehicle, trailer, tires, brakes,
me, and if I have to stop or swerve, I'm more likely to be able to handle
that at a lower speed.

I tow at 90km ...maybe touch 100 on a good smooth straight 4 lane highway.
Why should I speed to enable law breakers .

Dan Dan is offline

HK wrote:

That's spot-on. If the speed limit is 55, I do 55. If the speed limit is
65, I usually run at 58-62, depending upon conditions. If the speed
limit is 70, I still run at 58-62. Easier on my vehicle, trailer, tires,
brakes, me, and if I have to stop or swerve, I'm more likely to be able
to handle that at a lower speed.

Old people usually do drive slow and bitch about those young
"whippersnappers" that drive too fast (the speed limit) and actually
change lanes once in a while.

Dan wrote:
HK wrote:

That's spot-on. If the speed limit is 55, I do 55. If the speed limit
is 65, I usually run at 58-62, depending upon conditions. If the speed
limit is 70, I still run at 58-62. Easier on my vehicle, trailer,
tires, brakes, me, and if I have to stop or swerve, I'm more likely to
be able to handle that at a lower speed.

Old people usually do drive slow and bitch about those young
"whippersnappers" that drive too fast (the speed limit) and actually
change lanes once in a while.

Why do i have an imagine in my mind of some short, fat, bald headed guy,
slumped in the seat so he can barely see over the steering wheel,
yelling at all those people passing him.