posted to alt.sailing

Default Questions : Kayaking with Boats present

"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote...
I am planning on carrying my .38 special
caliber Revolver with me when i Kayak, so, im wondering if gunshots
can be heard by the Boater over his boats noise (?) .

Absolutely NOT!!!

What you need is under Paddle Craft, about half way down the left side of this
page -- http://www.tsca.net/Scottish.html -- in a very nice shade of baby blue.
It's also another reason for the head-on collision mitigation method...

posted to alt.sailing

I Love it.

John Weiss wrote:
"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote...
I am planning on carrying my .38 special
caliber Revolver with me when I Kayak, so, I'm wondering if gunshots
can be heard by the Boater over his boats noise (?) .

Absolutely NOT!!!

John,
Are saying that the .38 will not be heard or that it is not big enough?

What you need is under Paddle Craft, about half way down the left side of this
page -- http://www.tsca.net/Scottish.html -- in a very nice shade of baby blue.
It's also another reason for the head-on collision mitigation method...

I had heard of gun punts, but I was not aware of a surviving example.

Dave,
This is why all of my handguns are stainless.
remember that most of the small boats in use are fiberglass and all the
newer ones have floation. But, if you can get a couple of holes in the
bow, below the rest waterline, the boat won't sink until it stops. This
way, the passengers will not be at little risk but the boat will
probably be out of commission for a significant period.

(Gawd- aren't we mean...)

Matt Colie
posted to alt.sailing

"Matt Colie" wrote...

I am planning on carrying my .38 special
caliber Revolver with me when I Kayak, so, I'm wondering if gunshots
can be heard by the Boater over his boats noise (?) .

Absolutely NOT!!!

Are saying that the .38 will not be heard or that it is not big enough?

Not big enough. My favorite is a Mossberg 500 Mariner, though it might be
awkward in an inflatable...

I had heard of gun punts, but I was not aware of a surviving example.

This is why all of my handguns are stainless.

S&W 686, S&W 569, M500 Mariner... :-)

posted to alt.sailing

'The gun punt Maalesh II was built in 1939.
Gun punts were designed for hunting wildfowl in shallow water,
mud, and reed beds. Both paddles and sails were fitted.
The large gun was fired by pull-cord after aiming, and
its recoil would push the boat backward at significant speed.
'

REPLY: John.... BOY, that is one mean lookin' gun ! Dang...its
nearly the length of my kayak . Id be afraid of the recoil knocking me
overboard . Matt .... I dont think id take aim at anothers Boat
UNLESS he was purposely trying to do me in ... and then id have to be
very certain about it such as him circling around for another strike.
If i get into a scenario where a Boat is coming and he doesnt see me in
my kayak, I think i shall immediatly unclip my Life Jacket and dive
deep . A couple years ago on a lake nearby , the Mayor of a small
town was in the water swimming in the middle of the lake and went
underwater for a bit ; when he came to the surface , his head hit the
spinning propeller of a Boat that was passing over him right at that
moment. Killed him instantly and not a pretty sight im sure.

Hope i have far better luck in my sitting-duck Kayak.

Dave

posted to alt.sailing
Red Red is offline

Dave in Lake Villa wrote thusly:
.... I dont think id take aim at anothers Boat
UNLESS he was purposely trying to do me in ... and then id have to be
very certain about it such as him circling around for another strike.
If i get into a scenario where a Boat is coming and he doesnt see me in
my kayak, I think i shall immediatly unclip my Life Jacket and dive
deep .

Some (many) years ago when I lived in Key West I was driving by the
harbor when I spotted a speedboat rounding up and heading right for a
big old wooden cruising powerboat. The owner of the cruiser had just
come up from working on the engine and bent back to reach for his beer
when the speedboat launched into the side of his boat - sliding right
past the cruising boat's owner by what looked like an inch. The
speedboat went clean thru the side of the wooden boat up under the
gunwhale and came to rest in the cockpit completely out of the water.
The guy in the speedboat just sat there dumbfounded. The owner of the
wood boat looked like he just saw God. He kept looking at the beer in
his hand, then at the speedboat up against his belly, then back at the
beer... Reaching for that beer saved that guy's life.
A few of us stopped to help pull the boat over to the seawall and hold
it there until the cops came. Took a bunch of pics, wish I could post
them but they are in film.
Red