posted to alt.sailing
John Weiss John Weiss is offline

Default Questions : Kayaking with Boats present

"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote...

1. Will an 11' Kayak that is approx. 30" wide , off white and blue in
color, be readily seen if a boat and kayak are heading head-on toward
one another.?

In most cases, yes. However, sun angle, waves, and movement all play a part.
That is assuming the other boaters are LOOKING for other traffic...

The most visible part of a kayak is the moving paddle blades as you are
paddling normally. If your blades are not white or other bright/light color,
add some wide strips of white/silver reflective tape to them. They flash
nicely in the sun.

2. What is a safe margin of distance i should expect a boater to take to
my kayak, when out on the lake ?

If he's going slowly, maybe as little as a couple boat widths. If fast, maybe
50'.

Remember the rule: "Constant bearing, decreasing range" means you are on a
collision course. If the other boat is moving from side to side, you will
miss.

3. Are there many Boat/Kayak accidents on lakes generally ?

No. My "home waters" include seaplanes in addition to the usual mix of
jetskis, water skiers, fishermen, etc. There are very few actual collisions
(though I do have a close friend whose dinghy was literally cut in half by a
power cruiser a couple years ago -- the guy "just didn't see" him!).

4. What measures should i take if a Boat is coming fast toward me and
apparently doesnt see me ? Stand up and wave a paddle ?

Standing up is NOT a good idea. You may fall overboard and become even LESS
visible to him.

Waving the paddle is a reasonable first option (don't forget the reflective
tape if it's a dark color). Make sure you have a LOUD whistle attached to your
PFD, and it is readily available for use. In crowded waters, I often take mine
off the PFD and hold it in my lips, ready to blow IMMEDIATELY.

Finally, you must (by law) be predictable unless collision is imminent. When
you have the right of way, you are the "stand on" vessel in Coast Guard lingo.
Maintain your course and speed as much as possible. Watch for the other boat
to make an obvious move to avoid you (remember the "constant bearing,
decreasing range" rule).

If none of that works, and it looks like you will hit, paddle as quickly as
possible out of the way. Make the smallest possible target of yourself:
head-on or stern-to; that way, you may only get a glancing blow and capsize,
rather than a "T-bone" collision. I would prefer head-on, because the
visibility is better, and your additional speed will not make that much
difference in the end.