posted to alt.sailing
Matt Colie[_2_] Matt Colie[_2_] is offline

Default Questions : Kayaking with Boats present

Hi Dave,
There are no silly questions seriously asked.

The problem with little motorboats is that the only thing required to
get one and drive it is a credit rating.

There are laws that include rules of the road and some standards for
courtesy and the safety of others. Many boaters carefully abide these,
and a few others scrupulously ignore all of the above.

The rest of the answers are in line (I don't like this - but it works)
and I will include both ends of the scale.

Dave in Lake Villa wrote:
Hello. I hope these following questions don't appear to be rather silly,
but, I feel i need to ask them out of concern for my safety when
Kayaking on a lake . I just bought a new Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak
and am ready to take it out on some lakes . Theres one particular Island
that id like to paddle to which is perhaps a 1/4 mile from shore. There
are motorboats on this lake although it never appears too busy.
Questions are :

1. Will an 11' Kayak that is approx. 30" wide , off white and blue in
color, be readily seen if a boat and kayak are heading head-on toward
one another?

Your kayak should be very visible. It is the responsibility of every
operator to know what is in his intended track. See below

2. What is a safe margin of distance i should expect a boater to take to
my kayak, when out on the lake ?

This will be largely dependent on his speed and wake. Don't expect
anything. Most will courteous and others will be AH. Operators are
responsible for the damage done by the wake they create (very old Law).
Law eforcement of this issue is lax at the very best.

3. Are there many Boat/Kayak accidents on lakes generally ?

In a word, NO. Do not count on that to protect you.
Wear a comfortable PFD.

4. What measures should i take if a Boat is coming fast toward me and
apparently doesn't see me ? Stand up and wave a paddle ?

Stand Up? - I don't think so...
Wave a paddle - Yes, but if he isn't watching or is OUI that won't make
much difference.

Be ready to spin the kayak to bow on. This is not to present a smaller
target, but to allow the boat to do its best to escape damage and
protect you.

You do know, that if motorboats had not been invented then there would
have been no reason to create canned beer. (IMHO)

Thanks, Dave

Enjoy the paddle.

Matt Colie