posted to alt.sailing
Dave in Lake Villa Dave in Lake Villa is offline

Default Questions : Kayaking with Boats present

Hello. I hope these following questions dont appear to be rather silly,
but, I feel i need to ask them out of concern for my safety when
Kayaking on a lake . I just bought a new Sea Eagle 330 Inflatable Kayak
and am ready to take it out on some lakes . Theres one particular Island
that id like to paddle to which is perhaps a 1/4 mile from shore. There
are motorboats on this lake although it never appears too busy.
Questions are :

1. Will an 11' Kayak that is approx. 30" wide , off white and blue in
color, be readily seen if a boat and kayak are heading head-on toward
one another.?

2. What is a safe margin of distance i should expect a boater to take to
my kayak, when out on the lake ?

3. * Are there many Boat/Kayak accidents on lakes generally ?

4. What measures should i take if a Boat is coming fast toward me and
apparently doesnt see me ? Stand up and wave a paddle ?

Thanks, Dave