Steven Shelikoff

Default Be careful out there

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:11:24 GMT, "J. Slater"
wrote:

I have yet to encounter anyone of these restricted zoned vessels, but for
the channel I must traverse it would be catastrophic for my vessel to leave
the channel at any time, since with a draft of 6', and a mean depth of 3'
outside of the channel, you can use your imagination.

I don't run aground for anyone... (try not to anyways). If they start
shooting, well, then maybe. ;-)

In that case, you are also restricted to the channel and you'd have to
look for a different rule. Personally, I'd use the one "if he hit's me,
I'm gonna make a nice little paint mark on his bow as I'm going under"
to decide whether to be in the way or not. If it's a vessel where you
have to say 100 yards clear and you're both restricted to the channel, I
guess that means you aren't gonna be passing him. If he passes you and
gets closer than 100 yards, that's not your fault.

Steve

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:30:57 GMT, "J. Slater"
wrote:

Answer me this: How does a vessel maintain 100 yards from a militaty

vessel
when passing in a channel that is less than 50 yards wide? The "rules"
don't seem to give a remedy for this kind of scenario. It should at

least
be mentioned as an exception.

Either you don't pass, or if you do want to pass, go out of the channel.
I'd guess that most of the boats people here own aren't restricted to
that channel.

Steve

Doug Kanter

wrote:

[...]

If you're in tight quarters with noplace to go, will any of these vessels
respond to VHF calls for advice on how to proceed?

Keith

We have one less cigarette boat out here on Clear Lake. Night before last,
one headed out from the Turtle Club, dropped off his two female passengers
(thankfully!) and headed out to Redfish Island in the dark. His navigation
wasn't too good... he rammed a couple of barges at full speed in the Houston
Ship Channel. The barges didn't flinch, but there were a lot of fiberglass
splinters in the water and one dead driver. At least he didn't take anybody
with him.

--

Keith
__
"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message

I don't know if this article has been posted here yet but it's pretty
amazing. This guy tried to sail across a channel between a submarine
and a warship and didn't make it. The picture is pretty incredible.

http://www.thelognewspaper.com/news/...ew.asp?c=69150

Steve

Here in CT two more idiots drowned three miles out cause they were not
wearing pfd's... These guys had plenty of time as the boat went down
to make 911 calls and the seas were not harsh. Darwin is patting
himself on the back...
Scotty

otnmbrd

Doug Kanter wrote:

If you're in tight quarters with noplace to go, will any of these vessels
respond to VHF calls for advice on how to proceed?

They should, BUT, even though they have multiple radios on the bridge
which should be tuned to 16,13, sometimes they may be on another working
channel, for, say the tugs or pilots, etc., with the ones you need,
turned down.
Try and learn the other possibles for your area, and if you need to use
them, make it short and sweet.

otn

Wayne.B

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:25:27 -0500, "Keith"
wrote:
At least he didn't take anybody
with him.

Yes, and the barges are OK also.