Steven Shelikoff

Default Be careful out there

I don't know if this article has been posted here yet but it's pretty
amazing. This guy tried to sail across a channel between a submarine
and a warship and didn't make it. The picture is pretty incredible.

http://www.thelognewspaper.com/news/...ew.asp?c=69150

Steve
Calif Bill

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
I don't know if this article has been posted here yet but it's pretty
amazing. This guy tried to sail across a channel between a submarine
and a warship and didn't make it. The picture is pretty incredible.

http://www.thelognewspaper.com/news/...ew.asp?c=69150

Steve

Locally, we get a lot of sailboarders going back and forth by the Golden
Gate Bridge. Very fast boards. One of the local guys test driving a boat
was hit by one. They say him at the last moment as he jumped from the board
and hit the side of the sportfisherman about 1/3 the way from the back.
This guy was the overtaking boat, so was his fault. Lucky for him, he was
seen and heard at the last second and they pulled back the throttles turning
23" props.
Bill

J. Slater

With the new rules since 9/11, this guy is lucky they didn't take him out
first with point defense guns. It's even possible that the crew/commander
might even get some flak from their superiors over this.

It's an even crazier world we live in now.

Answer me this: How does a vessel maintain 100 yards from a militaty vessel
when passing in a channel that is less than 50 yards wide? The "rules"
don't seem to give a remedy for this kind of scenario. It should at least
be mentioned as an exception.

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
I don't know if this article has been posted here yet but it's pretty
amazing. This guy tried to sail across a channel between a submarine
and a warship and didn't make it. The picture is pretty incredible.

http://www.thelognewspaper.com/news/...ew.asp?c=69150

Steve

Charles Cox

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:30:57 GMT, "J. Slater" wrote:

Answer me this: How does a vessel maintain 100 yards from a militaty vessel
when passing in a channel that is less than 50 yards wide? The "rules"
don't seem to give a remedy for this kind of scenario. It should at least
be mentioned as an exception.

It's happened to me a couple of times in Boston harbor. Not military ships, but a cruise ship and LNG tanker both had security
zones around them. Since there is no warning on the VHF, it is easy to get caught by a ship leaving one of the channels or the
Mystic river because they are not visible until they are entering the main channel. In both cases, the police instructed (via
bullhorn) me to keep as far to the outside of the channel as possible. Fortunately this has never happened when I was near the
airport security zone, one could easily find oneself caught in the middle of two overlapping security zones.

--
Chuck Cox
SynchroSystems Motorsport Computers

http://www.synchro.com
Steven Shelikoff

wrote:

Answer me this: How does a vessel maintain 100 yards from a militaty vessel
when passing in a channel that is less than 50 yards wide? The "rules"
don't seem to give a remedy for this kind of scenario. It should at least
be mentioned as an exception.

Either you don't pass, or if you do want to pass, go out of the channel.
I'd guess that most of the boats people here own aren't restricted to
that channel.

Steve

John Gaquin

"Charles Cox" wrote in message

It's happened to me a couple of times in Boston harbor. Not military

ships, but a cruise ship and LNG tanker both had security
zones around them. Since there is no warning on the VHF,

I can't address the cruise ships, but when those LNG tankers are moving in
Boston Harbor everybody in the world is notified. Twice. For days in
advance, and while moving. Those LNGs don't sneak up on anyone.

JG

Keith

I thought that too when I passed a Navy ship in the Calcashieu river in May.
Several folks mentioned that they will not broadcast ship movements, etc. on
radio. The little gunboats came up and yelled directions at me. Guess they
try to stay off the radio for security reasons.

--

Keith
__
k.net...

wrote:

[...]

Charles Cox

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 03:16:39 GMT, "John Gaquin" wrote:

"Charles Cox" wrote in message

It's happened to me a couple of times in Boston harbor. Not military

ships, but a cruise ship and LNG tanker both had security
zones around them. Since there is no warning on the VHF,

I can't address the cruise ships, but when those LNG tankers are moving in
Boston Harbor everybody in the world is notified. Twice. For days in
advance, and while moving. Those LNGs don't sneak up on anyone.

Not any more. They used to announce it in advance but for security it is kept secret now. Our sailing club used to let us know if
it was scheduled to move, but not any more. I monitor 16 whenever I'm out and there are no announcements. All communication in
regard to security is done via bullhorn.

--
Chuck Cox
SynchroSystems Motorsport Computers
Hopped/Up Racing Team

http://www.synchro.com

Backyard Renegade

(Steven Shelikoff) wrote in message ...
I don't know if this article has been posted here yet but it's pretty
amazing. This guy tried to sail across a channel between a submarine
and a warship and didn't make it. The picture is pretty incredible.

http://www.thelognewspaper.com/news/...ew.asp?c=69150

Steve

Here in CT two more idiots drowned three miles out cause they were not
wearing pfd's... These guys had plenty of time as the boat went down
to make 911 calls and the seas were not harsh. Darwin is patting
himself on the back...
Scotty