Doug Kanter

Default Be careful out there

"Steven Shelikoff" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 06:11:24 GMT, "J. Slater"
wrote:

I have yet to encounter anyone of these restricted zoned vessels, but for
the channel I must traverse it would be catastrophic for my vessel to

leave
the channel at any time, since with a draft of 6', and a mean depth of 3'
outside of the channel, you can use your imagination.

I don't run aground for anyone... (try not to anyways). If they start
shooting, well, then maybe. ;-)

In that case, you are also restricted to the channel and you'd have to
look for a different rule. Personally, I'd use the one "if he hit's me,
I'm gonna make a nice little paint mark on his bow as I'm going under"
to decide whether to be in the way or not. If it's a vessel where you
have to say 100 yards clear and you're both restricted to the channel, I
guess that means you aren't gonna be passing him. If he passes you and
gets closer than 100 yards, that's not your fault.

If you're in tight quarters with noplace to go, will any of these vessels
respond to VHF calls for advice on how to proceed?