HK HK is offline

Default Is the word PORT side used because of ancient reasons ?

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:56:24 -0400, HK wrote:

Canuck57 wrote:
"roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why yes - I think they discovered Idaho somewhere around that time I
believe. Also Japan and Peru.
Well I am glad we know who really discovered America. The vikings,
not Columbus. Well, if you ask the Indians they would say they did.
But I won't split hairs. And aren't they offended if you call them
"indians"? And isn't the word "they" offensive when referring to an
ethnic group? Forget it I am going boating. : )
Viking/Norse, but they didn't last long, the settlement died off.
Newfoundland I think. Should have picked a nicer place down south like
Plymouth.

Isn't it fairly well proven that the first settlers in the Americas
wandered over from Asia when there was a land bridge connecting it to
what is now Alaska?

Nope.

Vikings discovered the land bridge.

Those guys really got around.

Ahh, the Asian Vikings. The ones who ended up in Minnesota and also
invented football. Thanks.

"Canuck57" wrote in message
newswDwi.61379$fJ5.36968@pd7urf1no...

Viking/Norse, but they didn't last long, the settlement died off.
Newfoundland I think. Should have picked a nicer place down south like
Plymouth.

Not such a bad place in the summer...
http://www.cdli.ca/CITE/v_lanse.htm

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:56:24 -0400, HK wrote:

Isn't it fairly well proven that the first settlers in the Americas
wandered over from Asia when there was a land bridge connecting it to
what is now Alaska?

Nope.

Vikings discovered the land bridge.

Those guys really got around.

They were highly motivated to get out of the house. Ever see a Viking wife?

Eisboch

They were highly motivated to get out of the house. Ever see a Viking
wife?
Eisboch
=================================
You mean they didn't all look like the one doing the shaving cream
commercial??? ("Take it off,....take it all off!!)
And as far as Anglo/Viking boaters, it was the Arabs that taught us how
to sail.....

Tradition holds that answer to be the correct one. The reason is because
the steering-board or oar was usually located on the starboard side
which prevented the ship from docking on to starboard.
Selected sentences from my handy dandy book of nautical terms:
"Starboard is a corruption of the Alglo-Saxon steorbord (steer board)
which hung over the right-hand side of the vessel.
The left hand side was known as larboard (loading side).
==================================
And here I thought was because they kept their wine on the Left side to
keep the sun and stars from shining on it and thus affecting the
bouquet.......

On Aug 16, 9:55 am, (N.L. Eckert) wrote:

And as far as Anglo/Viking boaters, it was the Arabs that taught us how
to sail.....

too bad they let themselves get left behind. It must be all that
obsession with Islam. No time left anything else. I hear they still
sail the same types of boats up and down the coast of africa like they
did for thousands of years on trade routes.

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:59:06 -0400, (N.L. Eckert)
wrote:

And here I thought was because they kept their wine on the Left side to
keep the sun and stars from shining on it and thus affecting the
bouquet.......

Or that.